Friday, January 15, 2016

The Daily Moppet

I honestly think this cat would jump into a hot oven, if I didn't keep her away.

Yesterday, I was trying to clean out my freezer. It is jammed full because when we moved, we dumped the contents of two freezers into this one. The other fridge is in the garage, and cannot be plugged in until I find a permanent resting place for it. I received a wonderful gift yesterday - some fresh sausage - made in Person County, NC. "Fresh off the hog", as they say, and I needed to get it in the freezer pronto.

My freezer is on the bottom; I had pulled it all the way open to organize it and the cat saw her opening and went behind the basket. I thought she'd think better of it and come out quickly, but 2 minutes later, I had to coax her out so I could close the drawer. 

I didn't see the cat after dinner, but that's not unusual because she has been taking an evening nap under the bed for weeks now. She usually comes out around 9pm, but she didn't last night. I thought it was odd that she didn't come to bed with me, but sometimes she doesn't, so it didn't worry me. 

At 3 a.m., I woke and got up to go to the bathroom. Still no cat - which was very odd - since she feels she has to accompany me on every bathroom trip. So I went all over the house, checking closets and cabinets. I even went into the garage, but she didn't respond to my calls.  I checked my linen closet, which she runs into every time I open it - but no cat.  So I sent back to bed and said a prayer that she was okay. 

This morning, as I visited the bathroom again, I heard a small sound and opened the linen closet door. There she was, curled up on a stack of towels, looking quite comfortable, thank you. I thought she'd make a run for the litter box - but no - her favorite toy caught her attention and she began to play with it. And oh, her favorite toy is a knotted rubber band. She likes to bat it under a door and then stick her paw under to retrieve it. Of course, that only works well for her if the door is open - since if it is shut - she cannot get to the rubber band. 

I remembered putting some clean towels into that closet after dinner. I guess that's when she went in. But I can't understand how she remained hidden when I checked it at 3 a.m.  That darn cat will be the death of me yet!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sounds very adorable and very feisty. A lot of young kitty cat energy there!

Granny Annie said...

Well thank God she wasn't in the freezer! Good thing you were confident of that at least. Where are the towels in linen closet black and white that might explain why she was invisible :-)

poopie said...

damn cats!

poopie said...

damn cat

LL Cool Joe said...

I thought you were going to say you found her in the freezer too! Ha, Cats and warm places. Now of course you'll have to wash the towels, you never know there maybe a reason why she didn't rush out to have a wee!

tiff said...

Cats have the superpower of invisibility and utter silence when it suits them. And when you're a cat curled up in a cozy linen closet at 3 a.m.? That's the perfect time to use those powers. Silly Moppet.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I too, was worried she somehow got into the Freezer.....Thank God she didn't! She is such a cute little kitty----A handful, I know----but, she is so dear.....!

Ginnie said...

I kept saying "Check the freezer" as I read your entry. Thank goodness she wasn't there!