Wednesday, January 06, 2016

An Addendum to My Last Post

A few days ago, my daughter and one of her friends met me at the townhouse for packing and loading. They had gotten down some decorative items that had been sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets. My daughter pointed out one ceramic container and asked if I planned to keep it  (in a voice that implied I was crazy if I did.)

I burst into tears. "I don't want to get rid of it; it was my Aunt Erma's!!  She backed off and began to console me, saying "It's okay, you don't have to get rid of it."

I didn't tell her this then, but on reflection, I remembered going to visit my Aunt Erma and Uncle Joe in Ohio. Her home was, like my mother's, full of antiques. Some were family pieces and some were thrift shop additions or bought at yard sales. She began a new hobby when she was in her 50's and tole painting took over her life for a while. I have numerous pieces that she painted and I wouldn't take a fortune for them!!  When we went there to visit  (every summer) I would take stock of what was there and decide what I wanted to have as my own. Aunt Erma and Uncle Joe never had kids and I was like a daughter to her. I loved her like a mother; and I coveted her things. She had beautiful taste.

When she got old and sick, she began to give things away and I was a main beneficiary. One piece I had always loved was a ceramic vase; hand painted and very beautiful to my eyes.
She knew I loved it and while asking if I still wanted it, I saw a twinkle in her eye. "Of course", I replied. She said "You might change your mind when you examine it."  I could see nothing wrong from my perspective, but as she turned it around, I saw a large, jagged hole on one side; the result of an accident while dusting. The broken pieces were in a paper bag tucked inside, but several had crumbled to the point of gravel - so it was not able to be put back together - even by an expert. But since it appeared to be perfect while sitting on  a shelf, I took it and and have loved it ever since. How could I possibly get rid of something that brings back such good memories of my childhood??

Such is my dilemma, since I have way too many of these "things" that bring back good memories of my family and the love I received as a child. I was and have remained so fortunate, and I like being reminded of it. Is that wrong?


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful piece. She really was quite an artist. I think in this situation, you might decide to keep this piece, but choose another to give up. A little balance for the emotional heart and the practical mind.

Omelay said...

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/kintsugi-kintsukuroi

A link to a pottery repair method.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

NO, No No.....! It is not wrong, at all. Some people will no doubt disagree, but I too value certain family things that bring back wonderful memories and will never give them up. What happens to them after I'm gone---well, I am hoping that other younger family members will feel some of what I do about these precious things....Time will tell. That is a very BEAUTIFUL piece, Judy, even though it is damaged----but more important, it has such wonderful loving memories for you. That's what matters most, my dear. Just my opinion......

Celia said...

I'd keep it too. I have a 1940's wastebasket filled with my Mother's clothes pins. I don't have an outdoor line any longer but I hang on to them all the same. She hung her sheets outside until she could no longer do laundry and when we were kids she'd entertain us by helping us to make those little clothes pin dolls.

kenju said...

Robin, I may have given the wrong impressions. My aunt didn't paint this vase - she painted the metal tole wares in there link.

kenju said...

*the* link

Ginnie said...

It's lovely Judy. I have cut way back on my "things" but ones with a memory attached are kept and it's always fun to relay the story when showing off the object.

Granny Annie said...

Keep it forever and when you are gone the kids can throw it away. But I am guessing they might keep it:-)

sage said...

Lovely piece and sadly it broken. The stories of such items needed to be shared with the next generation so that they hold on to a few pieces from the past.

Pat said...

No it isn't wrong and where is the harm in conjuring up one's past? I find it most helpful when writing 'An Imperfect Life'. But of course we have to temper it a little and be mindful of what our young will eventually have to deal with. It's not easy I know.