Thursday, January 21, 2016

It Has Been Nearly a Week.....

since I last posted.  There is nothing new to report, except I have a cold (again), the second one this winter. The stress of moving has worn me down and my defenses are low. 

So far, I like living here. Having no stairs to climb is fabulous, and I wish we had moved here sooner!  We are still inundated with boxes, but now that I'm feeling a bit better, I have a plan to open, unpack and wash at least 2 boxes of stuff from my china closet every day and get it put away. Until I get rid of all those boxes (about 15) I can't do much to re-arrange the living room - they are in the way. 

We were invited to go to the across-the-street-neighbor's home on Friday night, for coffee and pastry. We enjoyed getting to know them very much. They had lived in the same town in Queens that mr. kenju was from - so they had that in common.  Also, the man attended St. Johns University at the same time mr. kenju's brother was there - so they may know each other. Isn't it odd how small the world is sometimes?  

Our kids and grandkids have helped us so much during this move. It is amazing and also stupid how much stuff we own - especially since we got rid of so much just two and a half years ago.  But the townhouse is finally empty; there was new carpet installed, and after cleaners come - it will go on the market. The others in the neighborhood sell fairly rapidly, so we are hopeful that this one will also.

We have plans to join the club here; use the gym and pools and find out what opportunities we have for socializing, but until my cold is gone - we can't. I hope it leaves soon, because after exercising religiously for 15 months after my heart surgery, I have not done anything since late October. I can feel my body changing again, and not in a good way.  So we have to get busy!! Are you trying to do better for and with your body in 2016?  

7 comments:

Star said...

Yep. back to the gym after a much too long hiatus. 4:30 am comes early, but I am glad after the fact. I do feel better.

sage said...

my time at the gym ended two weeks ago... Hopefully, next week, I'll be back with rehab. Enjoy your new community--you have a nice home there.

Pat said...

Slow down Missus!
You know it makes sense. I never knowingly deliberately take exercise but the size of the house and its configuration and the fact that I no longer drive inevitably seems to keep me fit. But I am also quite kind to myself and frequently put my feet up during the day. I watch what I eat and only have a glass of wine Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Yippee it's Sunday. Cheers!

Granny Annie said...

It is perfectly okay for you to get well before you pursue new interests. One day at a time my friend, one day at a time:-)

Ginnie said...

I can relate to everything you wrote, Judy. My body just doesn't react like it used to and I've found that I have to do all I can to help that first and then I can take on some of the other stuff. Sounds like you made a good choice on the move but it is sure to take time to readjust.

joared said...

Glad you're getting settled into your new place. Downsizing is always a challenge, especially with items to which we have an emotionally attachment I find. Doing what's best for my body is an ongoing activity, but I could do better.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've noticed that since my Dads death my mother has been far less physically active and it's causing her so many problems. The old expression use it or lose it is so true! I'm glad you are enjoying your new home.