Thursday, July 24, 2014

Another Classmate Gone....

An email I received this morning notified me of the death of another classmate; one which I was very sad to see. Pat and I knew each other in school, but were not buddies outside of classes and clubs at school. 

In 2003, when we had our 45th reunion, I was in my home town, shopping at a local mall when I saw a woman who looked familiar. She glanced at me and then looked back with recognition in her eyes, so we spoke. A name and a voice took me back to 1958 instantly, and I remembered the young woman that Pat had been. We managed to spend a good bit of time together over the next 2-3 days; very enjoyable times. 

She had lived for a long time in Myrtle Beach, SC, and when I told her that our family sometimes vacationed there, she made me promise to let her know when I was coming, so we could get together. 

A year or so later, I contacted her and we made arrangements for her to visit with us at our beach resort. Being a top-notch real estate agent in that area, she knew our location and found me easily. We had lunch and a wonderful, long conversation, and she met most of my family. We promised to see each other again in 2013 for our 50th reunion, but it was not to be. Pat had become ill and was unable to drive. Had I known she could travel (even though not under her own steam) I would have gone to get her and taken her back to Charleston, WV with me. Alas, we didn't find it out until there was no time for me to do that. I really missed seeing her then, and was looking forward to going back to Myrtle Beach so that I could plan a visit with her. I had heard that she was in a nursing facility, but that didn't matter. 

Well, we have not made it back to that area, and now Pat has gone on to her reward (one hopes.) I am so sorry that we didn't get another opportunity to see one another, and I hope she rests-in-peace, pain-free and in serenity. Goodbye, Pat, I'm glad I knew you.

The longer we live, the more we see our old friends and classmates pass away. My dad lived to be 91, and when he was in his 70's and 80's, he spent a good bit of his time visiting friends and former co-workers in hospitals, nursing homes and attending funerals. He said he thought no one would be alive to mourn his passing......and though he was wrong.....I do get where he was coming from. We all hate to see our long-term friends go, but it is part of life and must be borne. 

11 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Yes a tragic part of life. I've seen a great many people I love die, and their departure always leave a little gap in our lives. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read this news of your friend's passing.

Celia said...

Very sorry Judy.

oklhdan said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend!

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so sorry Judy but am happy that at least you did get to reconnect. I almost hate getting the news letters about my classmates. There are always at least one or two no longer with us. We have reached that age.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, Judy. What your dad observed is certainly what I observe myself as I age.

Granny Annie said...

The saddest part of class reunions is the memorial page. So many gone. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm so very very sorry, dear Judy....These losses are harder and harder to take, at least for me.....I just lost another dear old find of almost 60 years---her Memorial Celebration was today....Friday, the 25th---her Birthday....Of course I could not go, but they asked me to write something, which I did.

I'm so happy for you that you reconnected with your friend when you did.....Sweet memories help but also make it more painful in some ways. My heart goes out to you, dear Judy....One of the hardest parts of aging is the loss of dear friends and loved ones with whom you have a long time shared history. I understabd exactly what your father was saying.

Pat said...

You did maintain contact and that is the important thing. One of the sadnesses of ageing is that it is often too difficult to visit but regular contact through email and the like are a good second best.

Gilly said...

I'm really sorry for you Judy, but glad you reconnected with your friend. I'm afraid the older we get the more funerals we seem to attend!

kenju said...

I realized on Monday, when I read her obit in the hometown paper, that I could easily attend Pat's funeral. We were at a beach only 35 miles north of north Myrtle Beach, this week. The problem was I had nothing to wear to the funeral, or even the visitation on Monday night. In the future, perhaps it is a good idea when going out of town, to pack something suitable for that type of occasion, even though it probably won't happen again in my lifetime.