Sunday, December 02, 2012

It's Over.....for the Moment

Now that we are finished with corporate and government decorating for Christmas, I can get a moment to breathe and perhaps find time to blog a bit more often. We decorated a hotel  (six trees), two city clubs, a restaurant, the Governor's Mansion and the NC State Capitol. We used to do a  country club as well, but we gave that job up because it required us to go up and down stairs so many times to get the decor out of the attic. Our crew (Mel Day's Dogwood Tree Floral Design) is all over the age of 59 - and we simply didn't want to do all those stairs, especially since it meant carrying heavy boxes too. 

Mel hired a young guy to help us on two jobs. After we finished one city club (a big job, with two floors and lots of large decor up high, requiring the use of a "cherry picker"), he sat down for a minute and sighed and said he was going home and collapsing in his chair for the next five hours. I said "You are 17 years old and you need five hours to recover from 9 hours of work?  How do you think I feel?"  He laughed and replied "You have a point."  (He wasn't told how old I am, but he knew I was the oldest one in the crew.)

I want to say how gratified I am that I am healthy enough to be able to work like we do this time of year. I love doing it, love the people I am with and the places we go. I am hoping and praying that my body stays in good shape and I will be able to do it again next year. We have done all these places for so long that I think we could do it in our sleep - and it is still fun. 

It is more fun when the budgets allow for the purchase of new ribbons and enough ornaments to replace those that broke in the previous year. But this year, nearly every business either cut the budget or kept it the same as last year. It isn't always easy to make old merchandise look as good as it did when it was new, especially when it isn't always removed and packed away with the greatest of care, as you would do at home. 

I have posted nearly all my photos on Facebook, but I will post some here soon, for those who are not on FB. I need a few days of rest before I contemplate Christmas decor of any kind - especially what must be done in my home!  lol


12 comments:

Bernie said...

I've seen some of the photos over on FB, and they are delightful... And I am STILL in awe as to just how you do it, for a woman of your youth, I'm tired THINKING about it, yet I'm only 44!!

Time to rest up, and enjoy the rest of the festive season...

Thumper said...

:::eagerly waits for pictures:::

sage said...

It is always great to see the Governor's mansion--which I've seen on FB. Thanks.

Celia said...

Looking forward to the pictures too. I admire your abilities, both artistically and physically. Cooking most of two days for Thanksgiving that was not at my house wore me out.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Not being on FACEBOOK I Sooo look forward to the pictures, Judy! I always enjoy seeing all that you and Mel and your crew do for The Holidays in all the wonderful places you do it---Particularly the Governers Mansion!
I LOVED your story about the 17 year old...lol.....Amazing that he was so tired!

Gilly said...

Looking forward to your photos. You always do such wonderfully beautiful arrangements and decorations! It must be wonderful to go into such stately places and make them look terrific!

Arkansas Patti said...

I figured you were out rattling around the Governor's Mansion. I don't know how you do it but since you enjoy it so, hope you keep it up for years to come. Looking forward to pics.

Granny Annie said...

Love the story about the 17 year old wanting to collapse from exhaustion while you are still standing. If only he knew that your work is never done. We are always amazed at how quickly the grandchildren are done for the day when there is still daylight. lol

Anonymous said...

Many of us could not go from a standing start to full tilt for an 8 hour day; but, given the time/opportunity to work up to something, we can do much more than would seem likely. It's all a matter of getting our muscles accustomed to the activity, gradually. It is well that you are no couch potato!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Tell me how to friend you on FB so I can see your pictures! I love your blog.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not on Facebook so I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. My mother does the church flower decorations. She does a beautiful job but it causes havoc with her back and she really is nearly at the stage where she can't do anything like this anymore and it breaks her heart. She's in her early 80's. It must be awful to know the mind is willing but the body isn't.

Grannymar said...

Wonderful work. God bless your energy. And talent!