Monday, November 19, 2012

Our Multiple Thanksgivings

Yesterday, we had the first of two Thanksgiving family gatherings. Ordinarily we have one, but travel and work kept some from being able to attend on Thursday- hence we split it into two. Daughter two hosted almost everyone yesterday, and did a bang-up job with dinner. We had beef tenderloin  (grilled to perfection by her husband), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans (my offering), mac and cheese, rolls, pumpkin and apple pies. It was nice to be able to sit back in her recliner and do nothing  (for a change.)  Feeding a crew of 13-14 at one time is never easy. 

Later this week, I am having daughter one and her brood (5) for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner:  turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, something green, salad, rolls and pumpkin pie, plus a pineapple-upside down cake. There will be no sitting in the recliner that day, at least until dinner is over and the kitchen is clean. One grandchild is a vegetarian now, so my dressing will not have the usual sausage added to it. I may sneak it in on Christmas; that is, if I can restrain myself from making sausage biscuits before Christmas. I am down to my last container of the locally made sausage I am pleased to be gifted every year. (Thanks, Billy and Sandra!)

Commercial Christmas decorating starts tomorrow, then we start again on Friday and go straight through until December 1st, with only one day off during that stretch. I admit that it nearly wore me out last year, so with another year under my belt, I hope to be able to keep up the pace. Wish me luck! If I die with my knife or clippers in my hand, I'll be happy. 

Molly the grand dog has come for an extended visit (8 days), and Sammy the visiting cat will get the shock of his life if he enters the back yard through the fence. Molly doesn't know  she is an animal.  When she encounters another one of any species, her hackles go up, her teeth are bared and much snarling and growling ensue. I suggested a class to get her socialized with other animals, but there is little time for that in the already crammed schedules of her owners. At least when she is here, she can go into the fenced back yard at any time and we don't have to worry about her encountering another animal, unless some hapless squirrel wanders onto the deck in search of acorns.  The squirrels are responsible for giving Molly the best exercise of her life, and if she lived here full-time, I suspect we would have deep grooves on the decks, since she follows the same path nearly every time when chasing them.

I probably won't post again before Thanksgiving, so let me say Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Please take the time to think about the people and events that you are grateful for in this life, and thank our Creator for them. 

11 comments:

Celia said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. We too are having assorted in between gatherings. My DIL's mom is having what she calls Thankmass mid-December to gather family and friends who are staying at home on the actual holiday. This is the 3rd year of this tradition.

Nancy said...



Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Judy.

I always look forward to your pictures of the various places you decorate for Christmas, especially the Governor's mansion, so I will be watching for your descriptions and pictures.

We are going to our youngest son and his wife in Connecticut. They say the weather will be nice so we will be looking forward to that wonderful family day.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

A Very Happy Thanksgiving To You, My Dear Judy!
You have such amazing energy and drive...GOOD FOR YOU! I know you love this Christmas Season of Decorating, but I also know it is very very demanding! Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy, my dear....! And when you get tired---sit down for a minute or two....
I look forward to seeing pictures of the wonderful places you turn into A Winter Wonderland, paricularly The Govs. Mansion.

LL Cool Joe said...

Well we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK but I hope you have a good one!

I know this is a busy time of the year for you, so look after yourself!

Star said...

The holidays begin in earnest! Happy Thanksgiving Judyv!

Pat said...

Happy Thanksgiving Judy. You are going to be busy. I'l be thinking of you:)

Granny Annie said...

From the sound of your schedule, I believe I will not only say "Happy Thanksgiving" to you, I must also say "Merry Christmas". You're getting ready for quite a busy ride!

Ginnie said...

I don't envy the work load that you have coming up, Judy, but I know it will be gorgeous.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and all the best to you both.

joared said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Your mention of sausage reminded me that my MIL made the most delicious sausage cake for holidays -- so rich. Haven't had any for years. Wonder if these sausage items such as what you mention tend to be prominent in southern cooking since she was such a cook?

Gilly said...

Sounds like a lot of fun - and good eating! I will have to wait until Christmas for my turkey!

Murr Brewster said...

We too had a double Thanksgiving. All the usual for Thursday--including a new corn pudding from a niece, who says it's a Paula Deen recipe and "you don't want to know what's in it"--and then we had friends from Mississippi over tonight who made something primarily out of fat and drippings and grits. My plan is to go to bed for a couple days and see if I can keep food out of my mouth.