Sunday, April 24, 2005

An exercise in futility.....well not totally futile.....

I went shopping today. BAH! Humbug! I need a coffee pot that won't leak after a few months of hard use, and I'm not sure any company is making good ones nowadays. Someone who makes 3-4 pots of coffee per day must have quality! Over the past 3 years I have had 4, count 'em 4, replacement pots from Mr. Coffee. Here's the pattern: I bought a Mr. Coffee with all the bells and whistles (clock, automatic timer, temp.- adjustable warming plate, adjustable strength setting, 12 cup capacity) which my husband says looks like something from outer space and requires a Master's degree in engineering to program it. That's not true, you only need a B.S. However, the first pot leaked clear water after 5 months. I called the company and they were so nice; offered to replace it free of charge, if only I would read them the number off the plug-in prong. I did, and 3 weeks later, here came a brand-new pot. That pot lasted a few weeks shy of the last one, except it leaked part water and part coffee. I called and got a new one delivered soon. I asked the customer service woman on the phone if she thought it might be a good idea for the factory to institute some quality control so they wouldn't have to replace pots all day long. She agreed with me, but didn't seem to care one way or the other. The whole process happened again with the next pot, except this time it only took 3 days for it to leak
pure coffee all over the counter top. I called again, mad as a hornet, and got the promise of a replacement immediately. The last pot has been in service since 2-2-05 - and guess what - it is now leaking. I put 12 cups of water in it and I get back 10 cups of coffee and 2 cups leak out all over the place. You and Mr. Coffee can rest assured I will not buy that brand ever again. I am now in the market for a good quality pot, one with 12 cup capacity and guaranteed quality control before it leaves the factory. I looked at Bunn and Krups today, but I am so afraid of making another bad choice that I walked out of the store empty handed. Well, not completely empty handed; there was the red sun hat and the 2 pairs of shoes. I had to buy those to help me get over the sadness of the coffee pot problem!

P.S. I drink decaf, so it is not as bad as it sounds. What brand of pot do you use and would you buy another one just like it?

Update: I called the company this morning and they have offered to send a full refund if I can produce the original purchase receipt (which I can) and will send it to them along with 4" of the cord and the wall plug. As soon as I purchase a replacement pot (water on the counter top is far more agreeable than no coffee at all), I will do just that.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michele sent me...... and as I don't drink coffee I can't give you any help or advice at all.... except maybe go for a fancy espresso machine?

Talking of going out for one thing and coming back with something else, I'll never forget the look on my sister-in-law's face when my brother went out for a pint of milk and came back with a playstation :-)

Panthergirl said...

Here via Michele!

Mr. Coffee pots suck. Stick with Braun or Krups. Even Starbucks makes some very cool coffee pots!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Sorry, can't help as I don't drink coffee; caffeine disagrees with me, and I've never seen the point of decaf. Good luck with your search. And thanks for your comment on Real E Fun at the weekend.

Weary Hag said...

Can't help you much with the coffee maker brand; we have the same old Hamilton Beach now for about two years and it has never leaked, though we only use it on weekends.
Michelle sent me. (kidding, I don't know Michelle but I get such a kick out of the fact that everyone else seems to!)

Traci Dolan said...

Hmmmm.... I don't use my coffe pot at home very much and the one at work is industrial strength, can't help there, but as far as compulsions... I don't think I have any, my mom got my share plus her's.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I'm concerned that Mr. Coffee might have to go out of business now that they don't have you to make pots for....

brendalove@gmail.com said...

I've got a Farberware perculator model....to heck with those little glass pots. Very old fashioned looking...but delicious!

CynAnn said...

Okay I don't get any $$ for this rec...but I'm from Springfield, IL the home of BUNN coffeemakers...
have you given them a try?
and THANK YOU for stopping by my blog.

Michele said...

I use a french coffee press for myself...which I love BUT it is not practical for the quantities that you make. I asked a similar question several weeks ago and received many suggestions

Wanna see?
http://www.micheleagnew.com/main/2005/03/warning_caffein.html

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I just stopped by to say thank you because you posted such a nice comment on my S,C, and A piece and right off the bat I read that you drink 3-4 pots of coffee a day! Down girl! (I did catch the part about decaf. :-) ) I like your writing a lot. And your list of blogs has given me all new diversions. And I think it would be lovely to be a florist, esp. with big wild Protea and tall lilies and long drapey stuff. Anyway, get a Braun.

Kevin said...

Actually, I swear by the 10 to 20 dollar range Mr. Coffee pots. Whilst my consumption is somewhat shy of your, I have done swimmingly with mine for going on 6 years.