Saturday, February 19, 2022

It's always something...

 My back spasms, which started last year, have returned with a vengeance. I went to an orthopedic urgent care and after x-raying my back, they gave me a cortisone shot, as well as a script for a muscle relaxer.  The doc said it would make me very sleepy, and not to take it until bed time. I liked the sound of that, since I had not slept well for at least two nights. 

Come bedtime, usually between 11 and 12m, I took the muscle relaxer and got into bed.  At 3:00 am, I was still wide awake and very uncomfortable.  It made me mad! Every time I tried to move, the muscle at my waistline on the right, seized up. It felt like a steel claw was grabbing onto the muscle and pulling hard. :-(   The next morning, I took a pain reliever and my daughter applied Voltaren to the affected area. If you have not tried Voltaren, I recommend it - just follow directions.  

Since the muscle relaxer he gave me didn't work, I took one from an old script from last year. Even though the pills expired over 6 months ago - they still work - and I have taken one every night for 3 nights. Luckily, I have slept fairly well for those 3 nights. 

My back seems to be responding to the cortisone shot, and I can move now without having it seize up. Unfortunately, the spasms made me hold my body stiff; trying to avoid severe pain, and now, the same muscle that seized before is now sore on the left side of my body.  I start physical therapy on Tuesday, so maybe I can get rid of the nagging pains with massage and activity. I certainly hope so. Also, I hope that all of you are doing well and managing to stay out of the reach of Covid-19. Don't give up your mask too soon.






4 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Ouch, so sorry to hear about your back. I have been there but not recently thank goodness. I have heard about Voltaren and good to know it is effective. Hope you are 100% soon.
Me too on keeping the mask handy for now.

Jeff said...

This doesn't sound good. I hope you're on the mend, Judy.

kenju said...

Getting better now, Jeff, and I start PT this afternoon, so I have high hopes for long-lasting relief.

oklhdan said...

I thought about writing an ode to cortisone. Not sure what I'd do without my knee injections. Hope you are feeling much better real soon!