Friday, November 26, 2021

THANKSGIVING 2021

 Due to several of our family having to work on Thursday (a nurse and a restaurant manager), we celebrated two Thanksgivings....one Wednesday and one Thursday. 

Several weeks ago, Granddaughter Jessica announced that she wanted to have a "traditional family Thanksgiving", with all of us gathered around one big table, eating all the usual favorites. And the best part is, she announced she would cook it all, except my sausage dressing was requested, and I was happy to oblige.

On Wednesday morning, our son Darren arrived with his two girls, Emily and Grace. We had not seen the girls in a while, so it as wonderful to have them here, and together, as they clearly enjoy each other's company!

Throughout the day, my girls and grandchildren trickled in, one  by one. Jessica was hard at work, roasting a 20 lb. turkey, making mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, gravy and rolls. About 5 pm, grandson James arrived with new pup Ellie in tow. We put our cat Moppet in my bedroom. She is used to being in there when we have company, but not usually as long as she was on Wednesday. She began to howl mournfully in protest. Ellie made the best of the situation, stealing food and water from Moppet's bowl and running from person to person, obviously enjoying the love we all showed her.  


About 7 pm, after Jessica's boyfriend Matt arrived, we ate a scrumptious meal....most of us over-indulging.....and topping it off with three different pies (pumpkin, apple and pecan.) 

Later my daughter Aliza slipped out of the house, and I assumed she was going home to feed her dog. Boy was I wrong. A while later, I heard the garage door open, and in walked our grandson Jordan (Jessica's twin), who has been in NYC for 4 years, studying for his Ph.D. We were all SO surprised.....I couldn't believe it, as he had been vociferous in saying he "didn't have time to come home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas! 


(pic was removed )

After the table was cleared off, 4-5 of us played my favorite game  -  Scrabble!

Moppet was really happy to get out of the bedroom that night....she promptly took up her spot on my lap, and she didn't even seem to mind that Ellie's scent was on the blanket. Here's Ellie in Moppet's favorite spot. 



On Thursday morning, Aliza came over with a breakfast casserole of eggs and sausage. It was unexpected and delicious. We ate leftovers for lunch, and then James arrived again, bearing Ellie - and the makings of a great dinner. I'm so happy that our grandchildren love to cook.  He brought 2 prime rib roasts, asparagus, zucchini and mushrooms, tomatoes, and fresh herbs.  I have eaten enough already to feed 3 people and the left-overs are beckoning as I type.  Aliza made a pineapple souffle that was delicious...and I'm about to see if we have more of it!

James was intent on having Moppet and Ellie tolerate each other. HA!  Both were wary, and rightfully so. Moppet growled and Ellie yipped. Finally, they reached somewhat of a detente, although it flared up now and then. 


Youngest granddaughter Julianna arrived with her mom, Shannon, and Matt came back (after spending day with his family). We ate James' exceptional meal, and Aliza cleaned up much of the kitchen. Then Jessica come back after working all day and cleaned up the rest of the kitchen, putting the clean dishes away. I couldn't believe it, since she had been on her feet all day long.  I guess when you are 25, you have inexhaustible energy....I have forgotten...as it was so long ago for me. 


All in all, we have had a wonderful two-day celebration of Thanksgiving. We did talk about what all we were thankful for, and I told them I thank God everyday for my family; children and grandchildren, my friends and my talents. We are all so blessed, not that we all have not had some bad things in our lives to deal with, but with the help of family, friends, and God.....we can overcome anything. I sincerely hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and your family had the very best two-day Thanksgiving celebration. Truly wonderful and full of love.