Monday, June 14, 2021

It's Been a While.....

since I posted. There hasn't been anything of interest to talk about, except we went to Myrtle Beach for 3 days, with our baby and 2 grandkids.  It was so nice to be at Marriott Grand Dunes resort...it is our favorite place at the beach. But I did have one complaint. When you ask for a handicapped room, you expect that it will accommodate a wheelchair, and that you can turn one around without having to do a 3-point turn every single time. It was a nice room, but too narrow for the wheelchair and a person pushing it.  


Perhaps the powers that be need to know what things are needed in a handicapped room.  I will tell them:


Make the aisle at the foot of the beds large enough to push a wheelchair through, and turn it around, when necessary.


Make the opening to the shower larger. This one didn't have a door, but an opening in the tile wall. It was only 24" wide and the wheelchair would not fit through the opening. 

Have enough floor space for a roll-away bed, when needed and see that a person can also walk between the roll-away and the regular bed in the room. 


Also helpful would be one bed that allows a Hoyer lift to slide under it.  Our beds were on platforms and we could not get the Hoyer in place.

All of these things made for  a harrowing bedtime for Mr. K, as well as great frustration for all of us. And another thing:  why do all handicapped rooms have to be the furtherest away from the elevators?? If there was a fire, we'd have a problem getting him out quickly!!


Now that Covid is on the wane, our clubhouse has re-opened and our activities can resume.  Scrabble games on Tuesday, movies on Saturday, documentaries every month, socials and group meetings are coming back wholeheartedly!  I am so happy for that!  Have you started socializing yet?


We went to lunch with friends a few days ago. It isn't easy for us, as we have to get a public transportation service that is wheelchair accessible to pick us up so Jim can go.  It would be great if we could buy a wheelchair van.....but they cost a fortune and so far, we have not been able to locate a used one. My van is too old to make-over as wheelchair accessible, plus we have 140K miles on it - so it would not be cost effective.  


Maybe I'll win the lottery?!  Then I could buy one with all the bells and whistles! But since I turned 80, my baby think I shouldn't be driving at all.  I can't win!!  LOL

4 comments:

SusanG. said...

I am so glad that I found you again since Time Goes By has disappeared. I miss everyone.

When a hotel claims to have an ADA compliant room there are certain things they have to provide. I hope you have contacted the corporation.

- SusanG.

Arkansas Patti said...

I really hope you do let them know all the things a handicapped room should have. They totally dropped the ball.
Haven't socialized yet. Still a bit cautious even being vaccinated. I'm pretty high risk.
Saw a dear friend the other day and we danced around a hug, thought better of it and ended up bumping fists. Wonder when we will all feel free to touch.

Jeff said...

Glad you were able to get away. I thought there was standards on such things--in my building experience (in churches) I know there were all kind of regulations for bathrooms. Even showers had to be handicap accessible even if they were mainly for those using the gym.

Celia said...

When I visit my sisters in Portland, OR I've found ADA hotel rooms to be lacking as well. I did find a VBRO that was roomy and the bathroom was wonderful but the place is no longer available. On the hunt for a new one.