Monday, March 25, 2019

I Thought I had Written About.....

trying to get a new ID card, the "Real ID", but I can't find a post about it. WE went to the DMV a few weeks ago, to get ours. Jim had no trouble, but they would not give me one, since the names on my driver's license and on my social security card were different. 

So, I had to go to the Social Security office and request a new card. I left home this morning at 7:45. I have not been out that early in at least 5 years. Traffic was horrible, due to a wreck on Rte. 540 and all the looky-loos in the opposite lanes. 

I couldn't find out what time they opened, since their web-site said merely "closed today" on Sunday, when I checked. But I thought it was 8 am, and that I might have to wait in line a bit. 

It took 45 minutes to get there, and the line was about 25 deep. At 8:40, a woman with a bull-horn came into the parking lot and told us they were going to open the doors early. Finally they opened, after instructing us to fill out a form on a monitor and get a number. 

I sat down and checked my bag of ID  info (birth certificate, marriage license, bills showing my address, etc.) My number was F109 and I stayed off my phone so I might manage to hear the person call my number. After only a few minutes wait, I heard them call F109, but the man next to me said something and caused me not to hear what section and window I was supposed to go to. So I walked around, trying to find my place....to no avail. Finally, a nice clerk said they were trying to find it for me, and in a minute she directed me to the proper window. 

Thanks to a nice clerk named Brian, I very quickly was able to get an order for a new card, in the new name, and all he asked me for was my driver's license. I didn't really need any of the other info I had brought - but, of course, had I not brought it, there would have been a problem. 

I had arrived at 8:30, and by 9:17 I was on my way back home. I sure didn't expect that!!


1 comment:

Pat said...

Thank goodness for the Brians of this world. I salute you for your 'get up and go'.