Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Life Goes On (busily) Addendum

The Saturday movie at our clubhouse was "Marshall", about the life of Thurgood Marshall. I highly recommend it. It is available on Hulu.


Monday, I went to the bi-monthly luncheon group for the women of the street I live on and the one we T-bone into. We went to Seasons 52, at Crabtree Valley Nearly all of us had a luncheon staple - 1/2 a sandwich or flatbread and soup or salad. I chose lobster bisque; which was good, but the one served at Rey's in Cary is better. The pear and spinach salad was also good, but drowning in dressing, which I don't care for. Another woman there said her salad was too dry - so maybe they gave me her dressing too. 


Monday night I attended a performance by Willa Brigham, a local storyteller. Willa has won 2 Emmys for her work, and it was evident why. She speaks, rhymes, sings, involves the audience, and shares her recipes for success. Often, her stories revolve around food, as one titled "Blackeyed Peas". It also mentioned cornbread - two of my favorite things to eat!! She began by writing stories for her children, which she shared with them, her family and ultimately her students (she was also a teacher.) If you have an opportunity to see/hear Willa, I suggest you take it.

Tuesday afternoon, I played my usual (beloved) Scrabble with residents of my neighborhood; and we learned that Scrabble has published the sixth edition of their dictionary. Several of us wanted one, so I ordered 4 copies.  I'm sure they will be put to good use!  

Tuesday night, I went to see a local success story sing her heart out, along with her husband and brother, and a great piano player, Jesse Kapsha.   Lauren Kennedy Brady, a Raleigh native, is the director of Theater Raleigh. Visit laurenkennedy.com and theaterraleigh.com . The put on a great show. Unfortunately, although her daughter was also scheduled to appear, she was ill and didn't come. Charlie Brady has a fabulous voice and I, for one, would have loved it had he had more of a part  in the program!!

Today, Wednesday, I am happy to say there is nothing on my calendar!!  I would be hard-pressed to keep up the previous schedule on a daily basis, given my age. But I am grateful to be able to see these programs and be with friends!

Addendum:  Friday night was the Veteran's Club SNL comedy show; a male beauty contest, which was amusing in places. Put on by  residents in my neighborhood - one has to commend them for appearing in public in the skits. They served icecream and cookies at half-time.

Saturday I went to a church to have lobster rolls. They were very good; rolls and lobster and cole slaw packaged separately.....to be assembled by the purchaser.  No drinks were provided, except water. 

The afternoon movie at the club was "Mark Felt", better known as deep throat during the Watergate Era. I enjoyed it very much......well acted by Liam Neeson.  

Today, a friend and I are going to the theater to see "A Star is Born", and I am looking forward to it. I've read several pieces that said it is really good and academy award material. I love Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper too!

1 comment:

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow you do sound busy, and doing things you are obviously enjoying which is even better!