Monday, January 06, 2020

Two Left Feet?

I have been having trouble with my feet since July, when I wore a pair of sandals that put blisters on top of all my toes. After I got the blisters healed, my left heel and the areas surrounding it began to hurt really badly when I got up in the morning. It eased off after a while, but it still hurt off and on throughout the day. Almost simultaneously, I noticed that my toes on my left foot were curling downward. I have had trouble with that foot since I cut 1/4 off my big toe off in a lawnmower back in the 70's, and then raked my second toe on the side of a concrete pool in the 80's, causing a scar tissue lump that took it's sweet time going away.
I began to wonder what on earth had caused all that trouble? Had I kicked someone important in a former life?

Today, I went to see the same podiatrist I saw 10+ years ago, when I had Achilles tendonitis and a bone spur. At that time, they put me in a huge, plastic boot that I had to wear 8-10 hours per day. I fully expected to have the same thing today. But......he gave me a fabric brace for my ankle and a splint for my toes. He said that both of them can be attributed to that fact that I had a small stroke after my heart surgery in 2014. The latest problems are a manifestation of that stroke - since the muscles in that leg and foot are weak. Well, damn. I can't win for losing. Since I have to walk a fair amount during the day, taking care of my husband, the cat, the house and everything else....I have no opportunity to rest that foot as it should be. Any advice?

No, not two left feet.....I can barely handle the one I have.

No comments: