Sunday, August 26, 2018

One of my dearest friends died on Friday. I met Nancy in 1983, while volunteering at the NC Museum of Art. We became fast friends, even though she was 15 years older than I. I have seldom known a woman as dignified and elegant as Nancy. No profanities ever escaped her lips, and she was not one to speak ill of others. She was a good role model for anyone - especially me.
After our time as volunteers at NC Museum of Art,
we began getting together for lunch near our birthdays and at least one other time a year. In the early days, that included some shopping, but as Nancy aged, she was less and less interested in or capable of shopping.
Sometime in the 80's, Nancy married (having been an earlier widow) and I was privileged to do the flowers for the wedding. A few years later, I was asked to do funeral flowers for her husband; then wedding flower for her daughters. She was always so complimentary of my flowers....and I was happy to be able to do them for her.
I saw Nancy move from home to home, from her condo to Springmoor (a retirement home) and on to their assisted living section. I remember how inconsolable she was when her children took her car away (they made a good decision!)
I went in June to the hospital part of Springmoor to see her, after she'd had an aneurysm, last spring. It kept us from having her birthday lunch last May. I noticed how frail she was becoming, but I hoped she'd rally from it and be good as new.
I spoke to her on the phone in July, and I intended to try and see her then, but it was not to be. Rest in Peace, dearest Nancy. We will meet again some day, and meanwhile, I know you are enjoying those who had gone on before you. I loved you.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I have lost some good friends in recent years, and really miss them.

Joared said...

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Your continued attention, especially after her aneurysm woul,have meant a lot to her. I think losing friends is one of the most difficult aspects of aging.