Saturday, May 28, 2016

Another Busy Week + a book recommendation

Three lunches out, plus Thirsty Thursday, which didn't get interrupted by storms this week - just 90* temps.  Two more people showed up, for a total of 10. We are meeting our neighbors two by two. I made cucumber/cream cheese/lemon sandwiches for thirsty Thursday; no one was hungry (saying they had just eaten dinner). That didn't stop Jim, and he devoured the whole platter. Only one other man ate one. Maybe for the next one, I'll be a bit less ambitious. 

Today we decided to go see the Saturday movie at our clubhouse. I was late getting ready, and when we arrived, the movie had already started. We got off the elevator and saw 250 people staring at us....LOL.  There were no chairs; I had to borrow one from the pottery studio and Jim sat on his walker.  He couldn't see the screen and I couldn't hear the dialog - so it was a wash out for us. We have decided that the next time we want to see the movie (one is shown every Saturday) we will go at 1pm! And hopefully, I will not forget my hearing aids (again.) The movie was good; Blythe Danner, Mary Kay Place, Sam Elliott and a few others. The title was "I'll See You in My Dreams"

After the movie, we decided to eat an early dinner at the restaurant our granddaughter is working in this summer., called Hickory Tavern. We have been there three times so far, and the food is pretty good. She had just finished her shift, so she sat with us and had a salad. It is good to have grandchildren nearby!!

I had to choose and read quickly a new book for the book club, since the club meeting was cancelled this week, and won'r be held again until July. I ordered "A Man Called Ove" and I have read over half of it. It will make you laugh and cry, often at the same time. There are some very interesting phrases, and I was reminded of both my father and my husband in the character of Ove, the curmudgeon. I think most people will like this book. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really are busy! I like how you have smoothly transitioned into your new home and all the socializing that you do there. Life is good.

Granny Annie said...

You are such a social butterfly. I probably would never participate in the events but it is nice that you do.

Ginnie said...

Sounds like you are really getting acclimated to your new surroundings ... not so new anymore are they?

Pat said...

I'm glad you have settled in so comfortably and the grand -children are a great bonus. I'm just like you regarding hearing aids:)