Sunday, May 17, 2015

I went shopping today.....

it was 89* and so humid that my hair immediately sprung out all over my head like a fright wig. I look so cute   (not.)

We need to replace a 33 year old couch and the space available needs to be planned carefully. We have a couch, and 2 recliners, and it would be so much better for the arrangement of the room if we had a love seat and a side chair - something trim and not taking up too much space. A tall order, I am discovering.

If I like the style of a piece, it doesn't come in a love seat - or the available fabrics are not the colors I need. We bought a rug a year ago; heavily patterned and colorful (browns, tans, blues and celery greens.) I would prefer a blue to match one of the colors in the rug. My baby daughter thinks the fabric I like is too dark, but I like to minimize the inevitability of spots and spills, and a darker fabric will do that. She thinks I ought to have leather - but we already have a leather recliner and it is hard to match the colors and styles.  What to do?

If I had won the lottery, I'd start over and choose a rug and furniture to match at the same time, making life easier. But we have not won (you have to play to win, I hear) and I can't start over with all new stuff.

Shopping is hard on me; walking all over large furniture stores is so tiring, even though I can sit down as much as I want and test out the wares. Maybe I'll go back to the drawing board an check a few more stores this week. I don't know how long Memorial Day sales will last - but I hope they don't cancel them after Monday. Oh, it is always something, Isn't it?

6 comments:

sage said...

Making furniture fit in new spaces is always a challenge!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Nothing is easy anymore, is it? And trying to find things that mach up....Lord Help You, my dear Judy.....Thank God you were able to sit when needed....
Good Luck, my dear Judy.....

Ginnie said...

Having seen so many of your gorgeous floral arrangements I'm sure you'll handle this big "problem" just fine. Be sure to take pictures when it's finished.

Granny Annie said...

You have my total sympathy. I am just shopping for a simple recliner and cannot find what I want. Of course there is no way I can physically go to the stores so I am having to look online and just don't feel comfortable taking a chance without testing.

Wendy said...

Oh you make me laugh! I've gone through the same thing a few years ago and am still in that space. Everything is hard to match.

I painted my bedroom walls a fresh, clean shade of robin's egg blue, but cannot find a comforter, bedspread, or shams to match! I'm just using white for now.

And I still don't have a bedroom set! Just using old wicker furniture to put clothes inside.

I'd like to get rid of my leatherette sofa (yes daughter thought it would be nice for a change to go with leatherette) and just buy an armchair (to go with the leatherette love seat). But can't find anything!
Hope you have better luck in the coming days!

oklhdan said...

Good Luck with your search! I had the hardest time finding a sofa to fit the space in my living room. I finally had to special order. Hope you have better luck!