Sunday, December 21, 2014

Oh, No......part two

I think I shattered the doctor's opinion of me. I wanted to find out if it was okay for me to drink anything with alcohol in it. I mentioned that it is my habit to drink one beer every evening between 10 and 11pm, and asked if I could resume that habit now that my meds have changed.  

He looked at me quizzically and said "BEER, not wine?" and I said yes, it keeps me awake. He answered that it puts him to sleep, and I explained that when I drink wine I fall asleep for 3-4 hours, but then I awake and cannot get back to sleep. I have no such problem with beer. 

He looked straight at me and said "Do you mean to tell me that you drink a beer every night of the week?" and after I nswered yes, he appeared to be perplexed. My daughter said "You sound like Otis the town drunk in Mayberry." And I said "One beer does not a drunk make." I have the feeling that both of them would approve if I were drinking wine instead. 

Am I right? 

8 comments:

tiff said...

Beer is liquid bread, so you're having a snack. Wine contains sulfites, which are poison. BTW - I'm no doctor, but one beer a night doesn't sound horrible.

Shiny Rod said...

I second that but make sure with the doctor that alcohol doesn't react with any of the medications you are on. If wine is OK then beer should not be much of an issue either.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I'm grinning. Hey, whatever works, as long as it goes OK with the meds.

Anonymous said...

Beer sounds like a fine way to end the day. One thing we've noticed is that beers and wines have gotten much higher in alcohol content lately. Some beers are as high as 8.5%. We hunt for low-alcohol wines, and have started diluting wines that are higher than we want. A little online googling told us that diluting wine has been a practice since the ancient Greeks. So, drink on, but only if it doesn't interfere with your meds!

amarkonmywall said...

Lordy. One beer a night. That's lightweight. That an popcorn is the perfect diet.

Arkansas Patti said...

Maybe if you tell him you drink it from a wine glass he will approve. I agree with the rest. If it doesn't mess with your meds, go for it.

sage said...

I like beer but one at 11 PM means one is crawling out of bed for the toilet at... Merry Christmas, Judy.

Ginnie said...

All my AA friends are howling with laughter ... who ever stops at "one beer" ?? Do as you have always done, Judy, and ENJOY your sleep !