Sunday, September 07, 2014

My First Girl's Beach Weekend Since 1962

Several months ago, a friend asked me to join her and a few other women at her beach home in Wrightsville Beach. I was really pleased to be asked, as I have known and loved these women for many years. They are my good friends and former neighbors. For health reasons, I was not certain that I would be able to join the group, so I was very happy to learn that I could.

We left Raleigh on Friday morning, and stopped for a quick lunch on the way to the beach, arriving mid-afternoon.

 The house tour was first; with everyone being assigned a room (quite lovely accommodations, I might add.) Plenty of room for everyone.










We sat on the front porch, overlooking the ICW - or Intracoastal Waterway, with gentle breezes that moderated the 90+ temperatures. 






Near dinnertime, we left to drive a short distance to Bluewater Grille.  The menu was large and varied; I ended up with coconut shrimp and mango dipping sauce, which was very tasty, if a bit dry. 









Sunset entertained us for a bit and then.....









Joe's wedding party took over. They all wore lime green tank tops imprinted with "Joe is getting married," with a cartoon of a guy in a pink, fuzzy bathrobe, hoisting a beer. They were, as you might imagine, a bit boisterous - but in a nice way, and they were most polite to a group of "ladies of a certain age,"  shall we say. As we got up to leave, they asked if we were going to join them at the bar after dinner. Wouldn't that have been a hoot?  I have a feeling that I might have enjoyed that.....LOL
We returned to the house and sat once more on the front porch, enjoying the evening breeze and the bright lights of boats coursing down the ICW. Eventually we went inside and watched a DVD of Jeanne Robertson, a former Miss North Carolina and an excellent speaker with down-home humor. We all enjoyed it, as Jeanne can be very funny. 

We retired into our respective rooms and here I will leave you.........tune in next time for the rest of the trip.


But before I leave you, I want to say thanks again to my hostess especially,  and also to the two other women. I am very blessed to have all of you as friends, and I am exceedingly grateful for the opportunity. It was all wonderful; I enjoyed every minute and I hope we can do it again sometime. Y'all are just about perfect!

9 comments:

Star said...

Sounds like it was lovely !

Granny Annie said...

Oh yes, this had to be so much fun. You can do some of the most exciting things.

MissDazey said...

Your weekend says lovely and relaxing.
Judy, we are coming to Burlington, NC next week to see a Jeanne Robertson show. (Long way from MO) I had hoped we would get to Raleigh, but won't be able to do that. You have a beautiful city in a wonderful state.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful beginning to a grand weekend.

Pat said...

It is so important to do these things whilst you still can - all of you I mean.
Our four are down to two- in a proactive way.

Ginnie said...

What fun, Judy and you look wonderful. I don't know the area but will have to check it out.

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh I wish you had joined the wedding party. That would have been a hoot for both groups.
Sounds like you are having a ball and hope you don't let that many years get between the next one. How about an annual event?

sage said...

WB, so many memories... the place that took the shine off my GPA, but I'd have it no other way... Glad you had a good time!

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha I think I would have joined Joe and his friends! :D How nice to have such good friends.