Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Beach Trip, Continued

On Saturday morning, we set a leisurely pace. I awoke after 8 am; dressed and made my bed.....only to find the other ladies in the kitchen area, still in their jammies.
Rain was threatening.....

We ate a lovely egg-mushroom-spinach casserole with fresh peaches from the farmer's market, after which we left to go into Wilmington to a well-known antique place....The Ivy Cottage.  It is a large shop in three different buildings, plus a warehouse area. You can find almost anything you want there, along with some things you didn't know existed.   I didn't buy anything; I just got rid of a huge lot of stuff last year when we moved, so I don't need to add anything more. But the others all bought something, and it was fun to window shop with them. That morning was rainy, so it was a perfect place to be. As we moved from building to building, I

flowers and berries I didn't recognize and they were a perfect photo opportunity.

After shopping, we drove back to the house and had lunch; chicken salad sandwiches and some vegetable chips that I can't remember the name of, but they were delicious. The remainder of the afternoon was spent on the porch or dock when the rain let up and permitted being outside.
Around 4pm we went to the beach and it was sunny and beautiful, at last;  allowing us a short walk at the water's edge.

We showered and dressed for dinner at  Port Land Grille,
which came highly recommended by our hostess' daughter. It was rather fancy, and the food was tasty, although a bit too esoteric for me. I prefer food that is readily recognizable and needs no explanation.....
I had scallops over a bed of risotto and spinach, that was served surrounded by a tomato puree. In my opinion, the tomato overpowered the taste of everything else. However, the rest of the meal was good, the bread delicious, the butter spiked with fresh tarragon, the coffee rich and hot - and the company was excellent, as always. I forgot to take photos of my food, as often happens. 

We sat on the porch and reminisced about many things that night; meaning to view a second DVD by Jeanne Robertson, but realized at 11pm that it was too late to start, so we retired, for another night's good sleep. 

When I resume the story, I'll tell you about Sunday, and our brunch in downtown Wilmington. 





6 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Love the photos of you and your friends. You always seem to eat such great food everywhere you go. I would never be that daring with my choices!

MissDazey said...

I am so glad you continued telling about your weekend. Looking forward to the next installment.

Arkansas Patti said...

Proud of you for resisting the urge to buy. Your last purge was a back breaker and obviously lesson was learned.
This seemed like a more laid back day and relaxing. Sounds like you all are settling in.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL time,Judy! A great 'get=away'.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful journey. Love the photos, especially that ocean shot with those magnificent clouds. Beautiful.

Granny Annie said...

It is an exciting and delightful adventure. I envy you.