Friday, December 29, 2006

Our Weather.....


has been worth bragging about lately, with the exception of Christmas Day, when it rained buckets full. Our daytime temperatures have been bouncing from the 50's to the 70's and back, and we surely can't complain about that. The only problem I see is that if we don't have at least one hard freeze this winter, we will be inundated with fleas, ticks and mosquitoes next summer.

People have been responding to the warmth by wearing lighter clothing, for the most part, but yesterday I saw someone who carried it to extremes. A woman got out of her car at the post office wearing denim Daisy Duke shorts and flip-flops. The temp, according to the gauge in my car, was 49*. I checked her car, expecting to see a Canadian plate, but she was from right here in NC. People all around were doing double-takes, nearly jerking their heads off their necks while gawking at her lack of clothes. She seemed unconcerned - or maybe she didn't realize the reaction she was causing.....LOL.

The first time our family went to DisneyWorld in FL was in the month of December. We quickly learned to tell who were our Canadian neighbors; they were the ones in tank-tops and sandals, while the rest of us shivered, wearing hats, jackets and sweat suits. As I recall, the temps were hovering in the high 40's and low 50's then, and I couldn't believe that northerners thought that was warm enough to wear so little clothing. Everything is relative or so it seems.

As we go through life, we cannot help but notice little differences like that, but one thing I have learned through this blog (and yours) is that under the skin, we are all alike. We all want and need the same basic things, whether we are from the US or the Ukraine. That is one of the real perks of reading/writing blogs, I think. I have said it before, but if more of us could and would read each other's blogs (from all over the world) there would be no wars, since we would be loathe to start one against people whom we perceive as our neighbors and friends.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Orlando and visited Disney pretty much daily, we also noticed how people would dress like their were at the beach in July when it was 45 degrees. (We are in Orlando, it must be warm !) We wore jeans and jackets and we are originally from Cleveland! (Odd coincidence, I comment for the first time yesterday and today both of our posts mention Disney World! It's a small world after all.)

Star said...

We are enjoying much the same weather as you are here in Philly. used to work with a girl who had just relocated from Florida. When it got below 50 she came to work in a snow parka, gloves, hat and scarf and declared it freezing. We of course thought it quite pleasant.

Eddie said...

I remember one year when the boys were small we spent New years Eve at Disney World and it rained so much, we couldn't do much of anything.

Bobkat said...

Possible true.

Having just returned from the Spanish mediteranean to the UK I am now finding it chilly here but while I was in Spain I was like the Canadians while the Spanish were all wrapped up in coats and scarfs!

brendalove@gmail.com said...

I NEED that Johnny Depp thing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh... I didn't know we had such a reputation down in the States!! Hilarious!

fakies said...

We walk outdoors barefoot in the snow around here, so we don't have any of that good sense either. I shed my coat at about 40 degrees. That's almost shorts weather! :P

Chancy said...

Judy .. I love your Daisy Duke shorts description. :)

But tell me, She did have on a top, correct?

"A woman got out of her car at the post office wearing denim Daisy Duke shorts and flip-flops"

Anonymous said...

Like a generation of young boys, I was in love with Daisy Duke as a kid...

As for blog reading stopping wars mmm. I've read a few blogs that make me want to start one. But most blogs fall into two categories: they are trying to make money, or they are just plain dumb.

The good ones are powerful and they do show how similar people of all nations are, but as in real life, the good ones are rare.

kenju said...

Yes, Chancy, she did have on a top. I don't remember what it looked like, but I think it was a t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

once i went to oregon to visit my sister and mother for christmas. it was -19 there. when i got back home the 34 degrees we had from like a heat wave. now i shiver if the temp drops below 65 and even in the 80's and 90's i sometimes wear my fleece jacket.

Anonymous said...

except canadians. i say bomb those nogoodnicks to the stone age.


just kidding. my sister lives there with her trés canadian husband.

it's a little unseasonably warm around here in buffalo. i'm going to guess that the polar ice caps have just about had it with the heat, too.

p

here via michele today.

sage said...

I want snow!

Anonymous said...

We've had winter all week here....had the wood stove blazing and it was great. FELT like Christmas. And today was milder in the 70's. 80 tomorrow and Sunday. And best of all....we never get snow in the Sunshine State. Hoping you stay mild in your area....well, as you said, NOT too mild.

srp said...

Here from Michele this time.
Yes, I saw a tree budding out in white blooms today.... it is sorely mistaken that spring has just begun rather than winter.
Right now though, I am on hold for the second , OK third time.
It is the deadline for Medicare RX plan sign up and again I have mistakenly thought that Mom's plan would remain the same. OH, NO! I have been comparing and searching and doing the gap figures and trying to figure why the one plan I want to sign her up for has mail order prescriptions more costly than non-mail order when everyone else has the reverse.
And doing it all through pink vertical lines on my monitor.... video card acting up all day.
I guess this means I should look at my dad's again too. I need some Advil!

Anonymous said...

Holy lunchbag full of burning crap, who is this Michelle who keeps sending you people? Sounds like someone to know...

Yeah, I'm kinda missing the snow. I hate it after the 5th time clearing the long driveway, but there's a pristine romance about a real winter that I miss this year. Plus, there is that matter of a very expensive ski pass for Boy that is going thoroughly unused.

Celerman really hit the nail with his head, but I must have been born into a very high quality blog family. I rarely find a blog visit to be a waste of time (I tend to find new blogs by following links in comments).

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I would have been happy with the mental picture of Daisy Dukes and flip-flops all alone. Thanks for ruining it.

Carolyn said...

We've had great weather here too! But it's gonna rain any day now. And people here have been jogging in track shorts and such. I finally packed mine away and I'm not gettin them back out until Spring! :)

Panthergirl said...

Amen, sistah! Couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes, it's warm here too (not Daisy Dukes warm, LOL) but it's freaking me out a bit because I know that the cause is not a good thing, in the long run. We are wrecking this planet!