Friday, July 07, 2006

My Trip Back Home


On my recent trip back home, I got stuck in traffic between two tunnels through the mountains in western Virginia. I stuck the camera out of the window and snapped this shot. We had all been sitting still for about 20 minutes at that point. Can you see the thin whitish line just to the right of the middle, about an inch above the top of the car ahead of me? That is the entrance to the tunnel. The maintenance staff had one tiny section (ten feet) of the tunnel closed for repairs, and it caused this backup of traffic for almost an hour. If we had to be stopped, though, I can't think of a more beautiful day to do it. The sky was blue, the air warm and clean, the mountains green and lush and my attitude mellow, in spite of the delay. I love those mountains!


My friend took me to a local farmer's market for lunch in Charleston; at that time only flowers and plants were for sale, as the vegetables had not started coming in yet. I had to take a few photos of them: echinacea and gorgeous roses! I really wanted to buy the rose bushes and bring them home with me, but I have such poor soil to grow anything that I hardly bother anymore. I love the color of the roses on the bottom of that photo.


Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

jennypenny said...

That shot of the view from the highway is so beautiful. With scenery like that, how could you not be inspired to capture every moment? Here from Michele's tonight.

Susie said...

That looks like a typical traffic tie up for CA. Our roads are jammed. Your scenery there is gorgeous...

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That was a gorgeous day....We rarely see a clear sky like that here at this time of year...Or for that matter any time of year. Those days are rarer and rarer.
BEAUTIFUL Roses Judy...! And are those daisy like things the Echinacea? They are real pretty! Almost unreal looking in a way.

Tabor said...

Beautiful roses, I would have wanted to bring them home as well. Traffic jams in the mountains? How depressing!

carmilevy said...

Talk about making lemonade from lemons...I can feel the Zen of that moment in traffic.

Inspiring...

sage said...

been through those tunnels many times! Sorry about the traffic.

Unknown said...

Boy, could I use that farmer's market today. Our 'gardener' did the most radical pruning of a couple of my ornamental shrubs that I've ever seen. I was in tears. My huge azaela is now a pile of sticks. Not one leaf. I need bedding plants, now.

That photo of the traffic jam is gorgeous. The colors of the hills are so vivid.

Here from Michele today, but I read you every day thru bloglines

Anonymous said...

Michele sent me.

The biggest messiest longest traffic jams I have ever been in were in Korea. The good news is everyone would come over to talk and work on their English. The bad news is you could be there for 6 or 7 hours.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Judy...You are so right about those outer petals on the roses....! And the arrangement is soooo packed full! Over the years I've seen some glorious arrangements that this place--Mark's Garden--has done...They were very innovative when they began many years ago...It is always interesting how a certain color will be 'the rage', isn't it? I love those light jade roses...

Anonymous said...

We used to drive through there a lot when my husband and I lived in Louisville. The capitol building, with its gleaming gold dome, always struck me as out of place--not only because of the natural beauty that surrounds it, but also because so many impoverished people live in the region.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers and great shots!

Shephard said...

I love your attitude. :) Stuck on the road, admire the mountains. We do the same here in LA.

~S

srp said...

These look like a dark red wine color. Have you found that of all flowers, the color of the rose is the most difficult to capture. I think they must need to be caught in special light and I don't know what that is.

Sarie said...

Pretty flowers. Sorry you got stuck in traffic for so long.

Here via Michele's

Carolyn said...

Oh, I thought they'd finished that tunnel work by now... maybe I'll catch a pretty day and go to Wytheville anyway, lol! Lovely flowers!