Thursday, February 02, 2006

Are You a Keeper?


One day, someone's mother died.

And on that morning, the daughter was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.


No more hugs, no more lucky moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute."


Sometimes, what we care about the most goes away. . . never to return before we can say good-bye, or say "I Love You."


So while we have it . . . it's best we love it . .and care for it and fix it when it's broken . . . and take good care of it when it's sick.


This is true for marriage.... and friendships... And children with bad report cards; And dogs with bad hips; And aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we cherish them.


Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a classmate we grew up with. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what.

Life is important, and so are the people we know . . and so, we keep them close!

Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life, especially the keepers!

I didn't write this, but I wish I had.

18 comments:

Marisa said...

Thanks for sharing Kenju.

Michele sent me today and you've given me something to think about.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Judy. It's an easy thing to forget. BTW, what in the heck are you doing up at this hour?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely Judy...and so very true. We must cherish what is really important to us and to our lives...it can disappear in an instant.

Eddie said...

Yep, I wish I had written it also.

Lisa said...

Judy, you always find the best stuff!! I kind of (sort of) ties in with my entry for today.

Anyway, I think after reading your entry that I will call my own Mom just to tell her I love her.

AC said...

This gave me peace this morning to read this, perspective and pause. Thanks

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and how true. Wonderfully written, thanks for sharing it, kenju. I have an important phone calls to make now!

Peter said...

You are a keeper Judy.

Anonymous said...

Such a good reminder!

Yes Judy, The Sun is still going strong! You reminded me, I should link to it where it's been mentioned.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Thank you Judy! So true this words and so beautiful!

Mahala said...

I needed this today. Thank you :)

Carolyn said...

This is some wonderful advice. Unfortunately for me, I've already lost a good many of them the last few years to death. Perhaps some new ones will come into my life though.

poopie said...

This is one of my favorites..the first time I read it I cried.

Duke_of_Earle said...

Good post -- good reminder. Regardless of WHO wrote it!

John

Anonymous said...

Judy, you did it again. You find the most beautiful and meaningful things to post.

It warmed my heart and stirred up so many feelings. I am going to read it again, gave me a lot to think about.

srp said...

So my emotions are right out there on my sleeve today.... lack of hormone and other events. Nyssa and I send instant messages almost everyday with "Hello". If we type in xoxoxoxoxoxox and hit return a bunch of little pink hearts cascade down over the screen. That feels so good.

carmilevy said...

You've made a difference in so many people's lives by sharing this today.

Thank you seems inadequate.

Merle said...

Judy ~ A lovely post that has touched so many of us.
Thanks for your kind words at my site. Much appreciated. Peter has
come a long way with his computer skills. Have a great weekend.