Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Lost and Found

I saw a comment at Michele's where someone asked "If you found a cell phone, would you return it?" You can see it in this post:
http://www.micheleagnew.com/main/
2005/10/the_answer_and_.html

One evening a few years ago, I did find a cell phone, laying on a table in the post office. I thought if I didn't take it and try to find the owner, it might fall into the wrong hands. I scrolled through the phone book, trying to find an entry for "home" and the only likely one was for "Dad". So I called that number, and when the lady answered, I told her that I had found a cell phone with her number in the memory. She was somewhat surprised, as she was located in TX and I was in NC. Turns out, the phone belonged to her husband's daughter, who lives here. I gave the lady my home number and asked her to have his daughter call me, and we could arrange how she would get the phone back.
Three days later, I got the call. As luck would have it, she was one of the wait-staff at a local country club; the same club to which I had just delivered wedding flowers that very day. She had to work the wedding reception until 11pm that night and would be unable to get her phone until after that.
So, since my husband and I were on our way out to eat, I suggested that I could drop by the club and leave the phone at the reception desk. She was happy at that, of course, and she couldn't believe that anyone would go to that trouble.
When we got to the club, waiting at the desk for us was a take-out container with a double portion of the club's famous dessert - chocolate decadence - along with a nice thank you note. It felt nice to do a good deed, but the best part was receiving the chocolate reward! I sure wish she'd lose her phone again.....

18 comments:

justrose said...

mmm, chocolate for a good deed.

the blog is anonymousrowhouse.blogspot.com, but it's not available at the hotel for obvious reasons! ;) i'd love for you to visit.

Anonymous said...

You must describe this chocolate dessert!

I always know you will do the right thing. :-)

Jamie Dawn said...

It doesn't get better than chocoloate! Well, maybe blackberry cobbler could compare to it, but it was free and unexpected.

Anonymous said...

My son was once 'sold' a phone for $20, which he knew was taken from someone. He called the owner to return the phone. The guy worked for Sara Lee and gave him a couple of bags of bagels. He wasn't looking for a reward, and even if he was out the money he was happy to help someone out. Yeah, I was proud of him (after I yelled at him about accepting stolen property). Your random act of kindness seemed to reap some just desserts, lol.

Zee said...

what a great story!

utenzi said...

That was a very good thing for you to do, Judy.

Star said...

So you got your "just deserts!"Thanks for commenting the other day.

Peter said...

We can trust you Judy, to (a) do the right thing, and (b) tell the story very well.

Anonymous said...

Well- of course that's the right thing to do. But how often do we get really good cake for doing the right thing? Lucky you!
And thanks- very funny cartoon about jerks! I'm glad you came by today, too...

Traci Dolan said...

Its great when the universe lines up two thoughtful people.

srp said...

Someone like you found Nyssa's phone on campus and turned it into the campus police. I received one of those calls...ID said from Nyssa but the voice was deep and "This is W & M campus police." OK, Mom's heart almost goes into fibrillation. They were trying to find the owner. She had not even realized she lost it.

Bless whoever found her phone. Bless you for being so honest.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Judy! The best part was that you not only got to feel good for doing a good deed, you got to feel good by eating a yummy desert!

I found a wallet in the subway last year. There was $80 in crisp new bills, but no ID. The only thing was a cashiers slip for a check cashing place nearby. I hiked over there, and they were getting ready to close. It turned out that they were able to figure out the owner of the wallet by the slip. It was a teenage mother who was working in an Au Bon Pain. She had just cashed her weekly paycheck. I tracked her down and gave her back her wallet. It felt so good to be able to do that. She was deeply touched as that was ALL the money she made that week, and on top of that had support a young baby. When I got in touch with her manager at her store while trying to track her down, the manager offered to buy me lunch. I actually never followed up on the lunch, but I REALLY felt good helping this kid out.

I felt like I was living a detective novel! Maybe I went into the wrong profession!

Anyhow, WAY TO GO JUDY!!!!

Lish said...

That was so nice of you! I wish someone like that had found my cell phone when I lost it awhile back. I really belive in karma, and you have very good karma. Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

I found a cell phone next to a computer I was using at the Aspen Library. I took it up to the desk. I was even tempted...since I can barely figure out how to use them. What will become of me?

Daisy said...

Funny you should mention this. I work at Big Bookstore and there are cell phones found and turned in all the time. Today, there was a cell phone turned in and as I was at the register today, I held onto it until it rang. I then told the person on the other end who I was and where the cell phone was and would she mind letting the owner of the phone know where it was. Right before the end of my shift, sure enough the owner came in claiming his phone. I was happy to have had a part in making his day.

Weary Hag said...

That was one heck of a sweet reward for a wonderfully good deed! I used to work in a nightclub and cannot tell you the countless items I found lying around at clean-up time. I would always go above and beyond to match up the item with the customer - many times, successfully. The karma came back around once for me, but not always. I hate losing things!

You did a great job Judy!

Anonymous said...

I have found many valuable things, and some not so valuable, and it's usually the poorest people who want to reward you, whereas someone who is a little farther up the food chain usually won't. Does money make people into jerks or do jerks just make more money?

Badaunt said...

Good for you!

I think the only reason I've never lost a cellphone is that I don't have one!