Saturday, June 18, 2005

An Ode to Girlfriends

Here is another gem I received in email; the guys may want to skip this one:

When I was little, I used to believe in the concept of one best friend, and then I started to become a woman. And then I found out that if you allow your heart to open up, God would show you the best in many friends. One friend is needed when you're going through things with your man. Another friend is needed when you're going through things with your mom. Another when you want to shop, share, heal, hurt, joke, or just be. One friend will say let's pray together, another let's cry together, another let's fight together, another let's walk away together. One friend will meet your spiritual need, another your shoe fetish, another your love for a good laugh, another will be with you in your season of confusion, another will be your clarifier, another the wind beneath your wings, another your mentor. But whatever their assignment in your life, on whatever the occasion, on whatever the day, or wherever you need them, whether to meet you with their gym shoes on and hair pulled back, or to hold you back from making a complete fool of yourself, those are your best friends. It may all be wrapped up in one woman, but for many it's wrapped up in several ........one from 7th grade, one from high school, several from the college years, a couple from old jobs, several from church, on some days your mother, on others your sisters, and on some days your daughters. So whether they've been there 20 minutes or 20 years, pass this on to the women that God has placed in your life to make a difference. Time passes. Life happens. Distance separates. Children grow up. Love waxes and wanes. Hearts break. Careers end. Jobs come and go. Parents die. Colleagues forget favors. Men don't call when they say they will. BUT........... Girlfriends are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are between you. A girlfriend is never farther away than needing her can reach.
When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it for yourself, your girlfriends will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end. Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you. Or come in and carry you out. Daughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, mother, mother-in-law, aunties, nieces, cousins, extended family, and friends bless our life! The world wouldn't be the same without them, and neither would we. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other. Every day, we need each other still. Pass this on to the women who help make your life work.

11 comments:

carmilevy said...

What a great post. I'm a guy, yet I can appreciate every word.

Anonymous said...

I lov eit! I have many girlfriends and they make my day.

Michele sent me!

Heather said...

I adore my girlfriends and blog about them often! Great post!

Angie said...

That is excellent! It's so true.

Michele sent me. :)

Michele said...

What a wonderful post, with a great message. Thank you for sharing it Kenju.

In fact it made me think of all my girlfriends which made me smile...it also made me think of my best friend, which brought tears to my eyes.

I love this post!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing, Judy.

Paul Nichols said...

Happy Father's Day. Coming at ya from Michele's.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, nice thoughts.
I loved you childhood post. Makes me want to go down memory lane.
Michele sent me...

Mary J. said...

I actually found you through presentsimple. I liked this post. Society tells us, also, that our "husband" or significant other should be our best friend. This may be true, but so many girlfriends are needed.

Melody said...

beautiful post. girlfriends are very important.

Daisy said...

I loved this post. We all need our girlfriends.