Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Girlish Crushes.....and Some Recent Ones

I popped into MommaK's http://petroville.blogspot.com a while ago, and a post on girlish crushes got me to thinking about the ones I had. Most of you (except Hoss) are too young to remember the people I had teenage crushes on (so Google 'em). Heck, I am too old to remember most of them, so bear with me as I toggle the old memory switch.
1. Montgomery Clift was a sad-faced, neurotic acting dreamboat way back when; a favorite friend of Elizabeth Taylor. He was certainly eye candy, though, no matter what his sexual orientation, and a heck of a good actor.
2. Rock Hudson. Talk about eye candy! I loved him in all those Doris Day movies; romantic formula comedies where the guy always gets the girl at the end of the movie, despite the tribulations they have in the middle of it. I will never forget when I found out he was gay. He was such a good actor I had never even imagined that. Note: I was told in 1962, by a member of the Four Freshmen (look 'em up) that Rock was gay. I was flabbergasted! It didn't become common knowledge - outside of Hollywood - for quite some time after that.
3. Tony Curtis, when I was feeling in an ethnic mood. He looked every inch an Italian, but he was really Bernie Schwartz from the Bronx (I think it was the Bronx). Brenda http://planetbrenda.blogspot.com
recently discovered Tony and was blown away by his dark good looks. All you younger women should rent some old movies and see real men in action.
4. Cary Grant, who was not only easy on the eyes, but suave and debonair to boot. I always imagined him to be really intelligent too, since the parts he played usually portrayed that.
5. Omar Sharif - dark and handsome; though I don't know about his height. Don't see how it would matter, though, if we were lying about on Persian rugs in a tent pitched beside a Saharan oasis! I've always been a sucker for anything Egyptian.
6. Johnny Carson always rang my chimes too; handsome, suave, smart and funny all rolled up in one package. What's not to like?
7. How could I leave out Robert Redford and Paul Newman? Both are still nice looking men, but back in the day they could really make every woman's hearts flutter...and....make some other parts react too.
8. Sean Connery.......As James Bond, the only Bond in my book. Pure sex appeal, and the old guy still has it.
9. A more modern list would include Mel Gibson, Richard Gere, Al Pacino and Tom Selleck, some of whom have stood the test of time better than others. I have to quit writing about this now.......my parts are fluttering.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy- If you flutter over Sean Connery go rent Five Days One Summer, a film that may never have been released in this country? Now, there's some serious crush mojo! And, ya, I'm as old as you but younger than Hoss (nah, nah, nah, Gene!)

Anonymous said...

Great list my only exception is Richard Gere because of his rumored love affair with the gerbils.

Looked this up for you:

Name : Omar Sharif
Birth Date : April 10, 1932
Birth Place : Egypt
Birth Name : Michel Shahoub
Height : 5' 11" (1.80 m)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You forgot Valentino!! To say nothing of Larry, Curly and Moe.

Kimberly said...

Mmmmmm....Tom Selleck & Sean Connery...

Great post! I was watching CNN today and Tony Curtis was on there talking about how he just loves women. Even at 80 he is a proud flirt. You go Tony!! And he still looks great- must be all that flirting;-)

Anonymous said...

Jeff Bridges!

Anonymous said...

When I was 10 or so, it was all about Shaun Cassidy. In my 20s, it was William Holden, Jimmy Stewart, and Cary Grant. NOW, in my 30s, I'm going through a dead-rockstar phase - Joe Strummer, Keith Moon.

No, I don't understand it, either.
:)

Anonymous said...

You have produced a wonderful list of hunks from my teen years. If I were making a list I would have all the same guys plus Tyrone Powers. I met him when I was a junior in high school He was performing in a stage play, "John Brown's Body" at the Lyceum (I think). I had a week-end job behind the snack counter at the Orpheum. Mr. Power's wife Linda Darnell was in a movie showing there and he came over for some publicity shots. He was a wonderful gentleman. Our manager gave us a few minutes to talk with him. I was awe-struck and tongue-tied, but I remember asking him, if he would like some popcorn. He politely declined, telling me that popcorn was bad for an actor's throat and although he loved it, however he needed to refuse the offer because he had a matinee that afternoon. Thanks for giving me a walk back through memory lane.

scrappintwinmom said...

Judy -
These men were all after my time (I was born in the late 60's), but I'm a fan of old movies and have to say you are right on the money...except for Omar Sharif...never really "got him". But Redford and Newman - whooey! I would also have added Richard Burton (yes, a wino, but did you see him in "Night of the Iguana?" he reminds me of modern-day Russell Crowe. And Steve McQueen had the bad boy thing going too. This was a great post! Michele sent me, but I do stop by on my own..

Anonymous said...

That's a great list. I love Omar Sharif, too-he was so wonderful in "Dr. Zhivago" (one of my all-time favorite movies ever), but I liked him as Nicky Arnstein in "Funny Girl" even more (even though he was such a cad).

Steve McQueen and Sam Elliott would be nice additions to that list.

Anonymous said...

OMG I love Montomgery Clift - what an unhappy like and fantastic actor. Johnny Carson? I may take issue with that one but hey whatever rings your chimes. And Michele sent me.

Kristal said...

What a great list. I agree with you on all of those. But I would have to add Clark Gable.

Michele sent me.

Weary Hag said...

Every now and then it's good to have your parts flutter!