Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Be afraid......Be Very Afraid

Brenda, who writes from Planet Brenda (http://planetbrenda.blogspot.com) has previously voiced that she is terrified of robots. Something I saw tonight on UNC-TV might make her hide under the covers for a while. On the program Scientific American Frontiers, there was a segment about engineers at MIT who have created a robot named Leonardo, who looks like a large, first generation Furby. Leonardo is said to be the first robot with artificial intelligence. It was fascinating to watch him (or it) move upon voice command and respond to the questioners' (Alan Alda) directives. Leo has cameras in his eyes which help him mimic the movements of the person with whom he is interacting. According to a woman who was instrumental in his creation, they are attempting to make a robot with which you can interact as you would with a human, and would respond to much as you would a human. This has been difficult before, since most robots have looked more like machines than people (except for R2D2 - or was it C3PO?). So Brenda, avoid this program at all costs, should it be repeated.

13 comments:

Traci Dolan said...

I'm not crazy about robots either... if they want to work with artificial intelligence why don't they give some to people who don't have any naturally???

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I'm afraid of robots, too -- the ones that carry the arc welders.

Anonymous said...

Well, shucks, Judge. I asked my computer guru down in N'orleans to put you in my Geriatric. Should show up in a day or two. (That gives me time to hang my head in shame.)

brendalove@gmail.com said...

*SCREAMS*

Seriously though, I love Inanna's comment....

Its just amazing to me how so much time and money is spent creating these things. All its going to take is one slip of the wrench...and they're going to take over the world.

SeeingDouble said...

That would kinda creep me out too. Hi! Michele sent me!

Dawn said...

That aound like something my boyfriend would watch....I can handle robots but when he watches those medical shows EWWW! I don't like to see people all cut up.

Michele sent me

J&J's Mom said...

Yikes! That creeps me out. Kind of like those big head characters that walk around amusement parks!

Here via Michele this fine a.m. Kinda slow over there so I'm just working my way up the list ;0)

OldHorsetailSnake said...

You visit Michele, and you get me. What a tragedy. You poor sap.

Wandering Coyote said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am now familiar with Michele's, and have entered the meet & greet, a cool idea, really.

Tammy said...

I've never given robots a lot of thought....but that one sounds kind of weird!

Hello, Michele sent me!

Anonymous said...

Sort of like some people being afraid of clowns. Hey thanks for the worldwidewords link at my site. I do plan to check it out. Michele sent me today...but I was planning to come by anyway to thank you.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hi, I'm here through Michele's meet-and-greet. I don't understand why we spend so much money on this kind of research when people are starving...

Anonymous said...

Heya, Michele sent me.

A lot of my friends are computer scientists who work on the "robotics" end of things. I'll never understand any of it, but they seem to enjoy it. Que Sara Sara.