Wednesday, March 30, 2005

A RANT turns into a lesson......

I don't usually rant in my blog, but this is an exception.Yesterday morning, a service tech from our area cable company came to install Road Runner, so that we could finally enter the 21st century with fast cable access. Trouble was, no one thought to ask us if we had cable in the room where the computer is, and we didn't. So after weeks of anticipation, we had to wait yet another day. The guy came back this morning and put the cable in place, added the new modem and started the activation process........or so he thought. Something was keeping that from happening; he opined that "probably" their servers were down and all I had to do was follow the instructions in the booklet to get it activated sometime later in the day. Before he left, I tried to access my old server and I could not get connected or signed in to that either. So now, I had fast access to the web, but no email with either his company or my old one. This was extremely frustrating to me since I run a business and receive email everyday which should be responded to as quickly as possible.

Off and on all day I tried to activate RR, to no avail. Finally tonight I managed to get back onto MSN (remembering the tech telling me that he had unplugged the phone line from the back of the computer - and felt like an idiot for not remembering it sooner). I had to do a "system restore" and then I was able to access email. Luckily it was a slow email day; I only had 13.

I have decided that it is a lesson in patience for me; something of which I always need more, and to which I will forever aspire. Now I have to find the patience to call RR and find out what I can do to activate the service now that we are paying for it. Pray that I am able to be gracious to the person on the other line.

7 comments:

Phil said...

Wow. Now, IMHO, that was incredibly poor service on the tech's part. Leaving a customer hanging like that, without a definitive answer as to what the problem is, and no follow up was way un-cool.

Oh, and Hello, Michele sent me :)

Phil
http://nomadechoes.blogdrive.com

J&J's Mom said...

I'm so glad I have my techno geek of a hubby to deal with those headaches. I do things on purpose to test my patience...like stay up til 2:30 in the morning making a baby gift! What was I thinking????

good morning..michele sent me ;0) Rant away!

Anonymous said...

something like that would stress me out beyond belief. i hate when things are left half done, especially when i'm not qualified to finish it. and i hate how servers never know if they are down! lol.

here via the meet and greet.

Sleeping Mommy said...

I'm not sure I would have let him leave without it being up and running. I'd have made it clear that i needed his phone number personally because if it didn't work I'd be calling him out to fix it.

And yes, I will pray for you. Here via Michele's Meet and Greet.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I am useless at computer stuff which is quite pathetic considering the time I spend using one. I would love to learn more but I never seem to get motivated enough to do it.
Michele sent me:)

Raehan said...

Hi. Here via Michele's Meet and Greet but I would have been here anyway to tell you thank you for coming by my place via Michele.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling better and sorry about the cable trouble. I think we all have those awful cable service stories.

Tammy said...

Here's hoping your cable access is now working...email and all!

Oh...hello, Michele sent me!