Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My Ten Things

The "ten things you've done" lists are popping up all over the www, and I will have to put my two cents in as well. I learned about this from Melinama at http://pratie.blogspot.com/2005/03/10-things-ive-done.html#comments. I do reserve the right to edit this list if my memory serves me better later on. In no particular order:

1. I met John Kennedy when he was running for President in 1960. I realize this dates me, but in the interest of being honest, I'll mention it. After it became known that he had female playmates known as "Fiddle" and Faddle", a friend of mine said "If you had played your cards right, you could have been "Fuddle". HA! No thanks.

2. I did "zip lines" in the Costa Rican rainforest in 2002, the most exhilirating thing I have ever done, and one thing of which I am most proud. Speeding across the tree tops, approximately 90' above ground is one good way to get your heart pumping. I also rapelled down a 100' tree.

3. Chris Sarandon (ex-husband of the actress Susan) once took me on a date, after we met at a fraternity party. He later played Al Pacino's transexual boyfriend in "Dog Day Afternoon" and he was "Jesus" in a TV movie. When I knew him, it was pre-movies and pre-wife. He had a "business" card printed that he gave to everyone he met, which said "In case of a party, call Chris Sarandon". I thought he was the coolest guy I had ever known.

4. A drink was once mixed just for me by Dave Garroway, the original host of the morning show on ABC (I think). His side-kick was a chimp named J. Fred Muggs. I was participating in a telethon to raise money for a centennial celebration in my state, and he was the host of the telethon. I threw the drink into the nearest potted plant, as it was so strong I could hardly breathe after taking a taste.
The same day, I also met the original 4 members of "The Four Freshmen", a singing group popular in the 50's.

5. When I was 18, I ran away from home. I took my first plane flight to Newark, stayed in a hotel in NJ and took a cab into NYC. The first place I went was the top of the Empire State Building and what an awesome sight it was. I was approached by a man who claimed to be a model's agent, who gave me his card, and asked me to call the agency for an appointment. Alas, I was too chicken to do it, fearing that he was not who he said he was. My Mom and Dad tracked me down and I returned home. They were so happy to see me that they didn't punish me for running away and using all my savings to buy the plane ticket.

6. I studied Cytotechnology and learned how to screen Pap Smears for cancer. I only did this because I majored in English and I did not want to teach or get into Journalism, but it was a nice way to make a living until I got married and had kids. God save me from having to sit and look into a microscope all day long, though. It gave me "double-vision".

7. I toured Kileauea Volcano on the Big Island in Hawaii the day before it erupted in 1983 (I think). I will always regret not being there to see it erupt or being able to take the helicopter tour over the volcano. If I could go back and do my life all over gain, I think I would study to be a volcanologist (or is it vulcanologist?) or an archeologist, just so I could go to Egypt and get paid for it. I did do the helicopter tour over Kauai in 2001, and it was the most spectacular thing I've ever done. The scenery is so unbeliveably gorgeous that I found myself smiling the whole hour, and thanking God for allowing me to be there.

8. For the last two years at Christmas, I have decorated trees for Elizabeth and John Edwards, the NC Senator and recent John Kerry running mate. Too bad he didn't make VP, as I may have been invited to help in decorating the White House for Christmas. That is a massive undertaking, and involves hundreds of florist volunteers from all over the country. Maybe some day!

9. In 2002, on the day before I flew to Costa Rica, my husband and I were invited to a reception at the Marine Barracks in Washington, DC, where we met Donald Rumsfeld. This was pre-war in Iraq. When my husband asked him if there was anything that common people could do to help, he said "Pray". Little did we know then! During that same weekend, we were privileged to watch the Marine Drill Team and Marching Band in their regular Friday evening performances. It was a wonderful program, not to be missed if you have the opportunity.

10. Hmmmmmm, there are several things I could put here, such as touring caverns in Barbados, or meeting Paul Anka, but I think I'll mention that I met Tipper Gore when Al was running for President (met him too) and I have her autographed book (whoopee). I guess that and a dime would get me a piece of gum, although in this economy, maybe not.

I'd love to hear from others and see their ten things, so let me know if you make a list.

1 comment:

melinama said...

This is great. I love these.

I went on those zip lines in Costa Rica too, it might even have been the same year. It was cool when we got to the top of one of the hills and the guide said, "this is the continental divide," and it was windy on one side and warm on the other.