Saturday, March 19, 2005

I need more music in my life

I've decided that I need more music in my life.....not the kind I listen to on CD or radio, but the kind I make myself. As a child, I played piano, taking lessons for about 5 years. I told myself I hated lessons at the time, and I finally convinced my Mom to let me quit. Funny thing was that after she let me quit, I played more piano every day than I had in a month before I quit. That became my norm, and I would play piano everyday after school and weekends. After I started college (still living at home) I played less, but still loved doing it. My Mom had the audacity to sell our Baldwin baby grand and buy a Hammond organ. She thought she would learn to play, but it never happened, and I was so mad at her for selling my piano that I refused to learn the organ. After a while, I began to fiddle around with it, and I got so I could play fairly well or at least enough to satisfy my urges, but I still missed my piano.

After I married and had kids, I used to play for them everyday when they came home from school. We had many songs we sang together, such as "You are my sunshine" and it was a very sweet thing to do together. Little by little, life intruded, they scattered to their friend's homes after school, and I spent less and less time making my own music.

Reading tonight some blogs produced by music makers, chiefly http://pratie.blogspot.com, and the harpist she recommended, I have realized that what is missing in my life is self-produced music. I still wish I had a piano instead of this old organ, but since that is likely never to happen, perhaps I should make use of what I have instead of mourning for what I lost. I'm going to play the organ tomorrow and maybe my soul will sing again, as well as my body.

5 comments:

melinama said...

Go for it! Retired people who have never sung before try out for my chorus... in my "Songs for Non-Singers" classes there were always older people who had waited all their lives to start ... and once I went to the "first national sacred harp singing convention" in Birmingham where a lady got on stage and played the banjo (well) in front of 600 people, telling us she had begun after she retired.

Kimberly said...

(Whew! It took me a while to convince blogger to let me leave a comment!)

Judy, I am sure your soul will pick up singing right where it left off. Enjoy the music:-)

PS- Michele sent me...

J&J's Mom said...

I dig the wallpaper ;0) I'm sure you'll have no trouble picking up where you left off...it's like riding a bike right? Good luck and thanks for the visit!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hi, I'm here through Michele's meet and greet game. I don't want to be a boring commenter who agrees with everything in the post, but... I agree with everything in this post, so I guess I'll just have to be!

Sallie Bailey said...

I just checked my recipe blog, Blog-Pot - and discovered your note - AND recipe! So I visited your blog - which is really neat. Check out the link to a music site I love on my computer tips blog - it's called Contemplations From the Marianas Trench - wonderful authentic old folk music.