Friday, December 15, 2023

How are things with you?

Nothing much going on around here - that's why I have been quiet. But I got a big surprise today. Last week, I had tried to close out Jim's checking account. The teller told me she couldn't close it because we still had a safety deposit box at the bank branch near where we used to live. Because it was one of the first accounts at that bank, they had not charged us for the use of it, but she assured me that if I closed the account without closing the deposit box account - they would begin to charge me for its use. I was sure that I had cleaned out the box and they had closed it about 10 years ago, when we moved to Cary. But at that time, I could only find one of the keys to the box. So the woman told me to bring back the key if I ever found it. A while back, in one of my cleaning out sprees, I found the extra key. I put it aside, intending to return it ASAP, but since don't drive that far any longer, it stayed put. So, my daughter and I went up there today and explained what we hoped to accomplish. We decided to open the box (whch I was certain was empty) and guess what??? We found our wills and my adoption papers. I was so surprised that you truly could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather. In short order, we emptied the box and signed a few papers and they said the account was closed for good. I sure hope so. We have one more chore to accomplish and then all of Jim's financial dealings will be taken care of. I am sure glad I found that key! Are you ready for Christmas? My small tree is decorated, thanks to my granddaughter Jessica. But the lights for another one have all gone bad. I think I will just decorate it without lights this year. I stll have to do the garland and ribbon on my mailbox. Many of my neighbors have decorated more than ever before this year. Due to, perhaps, the pandemic, the political climate and the war in the Middle East, we all need cheering up and something to look forward to. I hope that all of you will have a very Merry Christmas and a much happier New Year in 2024. (I never thought I'd live long enough to see 2024, but I sure am glad I did!

3 comments:

Celia said...

I'm glad you lasted this long too. And me too, I'll be 82 in March. I also found it a relief to get those kinds of things tidied. Everything goes to my two sons and they roll their eyes and say "oh, Mom," but it's better to be organized. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Jeff said...

Have a Merry Christmas, Judy, despite the sadness of the year. It's good to get these things behind you. Blessings,

Granny Annie said...

I was a banker and accompanied a lady to close her safe deposit box. She did not even want to go in because she insisted it was empty. Finally she did go in with us and I opened the box, felt inside both the bottom of the box and then the top. At the top I found a ring box with a rubber band around it. The rubber stuck the box to the top and sure enough, inside was a gorgeous diamond ring. The lady almost fainted. She was happy to find a ring she had given up for lost years ago. I always wonder if she told the insurance company. LOL