Monday, October 23, 2023

Our Family Wedding Weekend...

Our firstborn grandson, James Crowell, married the love of his life, Caitlin Vereen, on 10-21-23 (my grandmother's birthday).  We traveled to Charleston, SC, on Thursday, to prepare for the festivities.  

Jamie (he prefers James, but he allows me, and his aunt to call him Jamie) introduced us to Caitlin about 10 years ago. We all loved her little giggles, which pepper her speech often, and we loved her almost from the time she crossed our threshold.  As the Best Man said, we can't think of a better wife for James. 

Jim (Jamie's Papa) wanted mightily to be able to attend the wedding, but it was not to be.  However, I am certain his spirit was there, as were his photos and in mentions by the Best Man, James' brother Jordan.  The rest of the family was well represented, except for Jim's brother, who was not able to attend due to family illness.  

The weather was iffy on Friday; storms were forecast, but it only sprinkled during the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.  We were lucky!  The rehearsal dinner took place at a venue called Sweetgrass Pavillion. It is in a public park under the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston, and it turned out to be nearly the perfect place for the dinner, cooked by an Iron Chef:  brisket, pulled pork, potato salad, Mac & cheese, collard greens, banana pudding, iced tea, beer and wine.  All of it was delicious, and many people went back for seconds.  I enjoyed meeting the brides' parents and her sister, as well as some in the wedding party, and being with all my children and grandchildren.  I am never happier than when I am with all of them.  

On Saturday, the weather was nearly perfect, although I might have preferred it a bit warmer.  We dressed early, as were were required for photos at 2:30 pm.  The wedding venue - Alhambra Hall was lovely and the grounds were perfect for an outdoor wedding:



The roses were dropped into the ground (in vials, I assume)....


Do you love these live oak trees as much as I do?  What a great backdrop for a wedding! 


                     The newlywed couple signs their marriage license.

                         James and his precious sister Jessica, before the ceremony. 



                    My beautiful daughter, Shannon, Mother of the Groom.

                                                        The interior of the Alhambra

The place cards were oyster shells, each inscribed with the names of attendees. I kept mine!  The centerpieces were strings of oyster shells on table scarves (like the ones from the rehearsal dinner).  

                                      Shannon and James......


                                      Cutting the cake!  Yummy!


I have a few more pics, but I think this is enough for this post.  The dance floor was hopping all evening, and I had great fun watching all my grandchildren show off their dancing skills. They are pretty good, especially the girls.  I danced a few with them, but my style is strictly 1950's and far removed.from the music we hear today. 

I'm looking forward to see the professional pics and those of the rest of the family!


1 comment:

Jeff said...

It looks like it was a nice wedding--neat venue!