Thursday, September 21, 2023

The Rest of the Trip

 I last mentioned Venchis Ice Cream, and here I am sitting outside, waiting for my order.....

I had told the kids to get some pistachio sorbet, if they had it, but no one remembered to order mine. So my older daughter gave me her tiramisu, which was very good.  The next thing we saw was the William Tecumseh Sherman monument. the Civil War General.......
We turned another direction, so we didn't walk close to it.  After that, we went back to our hotel. Mind you, I was being pushed in a wheelchair/transport chair the whole time and it felt as if I were in a group of bumper cars at a carnival. The streets and sidewalks are so bumpy, and there are so many people to steer around.  Yikes!

The next day, we passed the Flatiron Building, which is covered in scaffolding at present.....
A short time later, we saw a commotion on a street nearby. It was strikers from Sag-Aftra, marching in the street in front of the group offices.....

We watched for a while, hoping to see a famous actor - but no such luck. They were all in hiding that day.  

Later, we passed by the One World Trade Center, which we had toured a few years back. We also saw the Occulus.....

Here it is from the inside....

I hope that woman didn't mind being in the pic, but since she had a mask on, I suppose it is okay.  Here, I am looking from the 3rd floor down to the bottom floor, where they had placed some very odd looking benches for people to sit.  
That evening, we went to a Spanish restaurant, called ...

Among other things, they serve Tapas....Only one or two of us knew what to order, so we left it to the experts...I liked all but one thing and I don't remember what that was.  Of course, I had to have a Margarita..... It was delicious!  

Almost as soon as we left Boqueria, we saw another commotion in the streets (can you ever go to NYC and not see some kind of commotion???) There was a police car, an ambulance and a whole squadron of EMS people milling about. A crowd had formed, holding up their phones, and I thought they were watching the EMS crew. But as soon as we passed the police car, I saw what had them enthralled.....


It was the Super Blue Moon - shining between buildings. I was so happy that we saw it and that I was able to get a photo.  I posted this on Facebook, so some of you have already seen it.

The next day, we were flying back to Raleigh, so we cooled it that morning, eating breakfast at the hotel and for lunch, we walked down a few buildings to Burgerology, where we all had burgers and fries.  It was so thick I could hardly get it in my mouth!


I had opted for sauteed mushrooms as a topping; they were good, but didn't sit well on my stomach for some reason.   Then we got a cab to go to the airport (La Guardia). I will tell you about that in my next post.  

  

No comments: