Friday, April 28, 2023

Our Trip to Key West, Continued

While we were in Key West, we saw a famous landmark....The Southernmost point in the continental United States, and as it says, only 90 miles to Cuba (where I would love to go!)


We pulled into the parking area of a hotel, so my son could shop for a wind chime. I was struck by the architecture, tile work and sculpture on the front. The rest of it was interesting too, but we didn't get a good angle for a full photo. 

We also saw a cannabis dispensary, but they were closed on Sunday....not that I would have bought any....


The next place we went was to the former home of Ernest Hemingway. (Ed Rabel, I thought about you while I was there.)


A model of Hemingway's boat....



Below is a pic of the author's bed, with 3 of the 6-toed cats who reside there. They were very amenable to being stroked. 


Hemingway, with Ingrid Bergman, a well-known actress of the day.


Hemingway, with Ingrid Bergman, a well-known actress of the day.
This is a lighthouse, seen from the upper balcony of his home. 
Hemingway's pool.....can you imagine how many famous people swam here?

I'll stop here and conclude in the next post.

5 comments:

tiff said...

The temptation to just jump in that pool must have strong - it's so enticing!

kenju said...

Yes, it was. Unfortunately, it isn't heated.....so it would have to be a lot warmer for me to get in it. Nice and private, though.

Star said...

Did you take the guided tour of HemmimgwAy’s home ? We did .we really got a lot out of it. I have a photo of me at the Southernmost Buoy. But it is an actual photograph, so,I have no idea where it is. One of my favorite memories of Key West, was that the temperature dropped to about 70 degrees. The poolside waitress had on fingerless knitted gloves and boots. We were in the pool. It’s all relative.

kenju said...

No, the guided tours had just started when we arrived and we didn't want to wait nearly an hour. However, as we self-toured, we heard parts of the guided tours. I enjoyed all but climbing the stairs....lol

I wanted to stay and pets the cats some more. The brown striped tabby on the bed has a lovely, soft belly and she didn't mind it being scratched!

Granny Annie said...

I would have been tempted to dip a little bottle in the pool and then sell it on e-Bay as containing Hemmingways DNA. LOL