Sunday, June 30, 2019

I'm Starting to Feel Guilty..... and other things

every time I use a straw or plastic bag. I do recycle as much plastic as I can, and I take re-usable bags to the grocery. But it seems nearly impossible to avoid using them these days.

Global warming, and all the problems it causes, is beginning to worry me too. We watch a lot of nature shows on PBS and Nat Geo, and they are more and more often sounding the alarm that we must do something to stem the tide. But I hear people say, why should we do anything if China and other countries are not? 

My answer is, we should do it because it is the right thing to do! The planet we are leaving for our children and grandchildren is a horrible version of the one we inherited. Our oceans are polluted and warming up to the point of causing damage to sea creatures and reefs. Each of us ought to be determined to do whatever we can to stem that tide.

All nature is interwoven and if one thing is damaged or interrupted, it creates problems for many other systems, too. 

**********   


I posted something against Trump on Facebook and one comment said I should ponder that Trump may be "my" last president. I didn't answer him, although I wanted to take him to task for making assumptions about my age and health. I'm not quite sure what his reasons were...knowing the possibility of that doesn't make me like him. He is a daily embarrassment, and the fact that there are many who don't care about that boggles my mind.      


**********  


I made barbecued ribs and wilted kale with fresh bacon bits for dinner tonight, with citrus fruits over cottage cheese and cherry pie for dessert. It was all delicious.  



**********

It has been so hot as to wilt me if I step outside for a minute. This weather is enough to make all of us stay inside as much as possible. I surely do feel sorry for people who have to work outside this week, as it will be in the high 90's all week long.   


**********


My car is on the fritz.  I was picking up two friends to go play Scrabble on Thursday, when the car over-heated all the way up to H!  I parked my car, and my friend drove us the rest of the way. Afterward, my daughter put antifreeze in the car and it didn't leak out, which was a good sign. I am going to have the car checked tomorrow, to make sure there isn't a hole in the radiator.  Pray that it doesn't, please!

1 comment:

sage said...

I try to avoid political comments on Facebook, but agree with you and sometime fear he may be OUR last President. But I don’t think that way for too long, hoping our “better angels” will save us. BTW, I highly recommend Jon Meachan’s book, “The Soul of America: The Battle for our Better Angels”