Thursday, August 02, 2018

Book Club, plus Odds and Ends

This pic was taken at book club on Tuesday, and had I known how that dress was going to emphasize my fat rolls, I might have changed position, or asked the photographer to cut the pic off in the middle. Fat rolls are fairly new to me; growing up I was so skinny that I could wear almost anything and get away with it. I looked good in everything except swim suits....."people called me slat legs." 
Book club was wonderful!  We had great food and a lively discussion about a book which deviated from our normal reading matter. The deviation was due to a heavy emphasis on religion (Christian religion) in the book. The story is about some people who lost family members in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, at the Alfred Murrah Federal Building. It is essentially a love story; one of loss and learning how to live with that loss. Sometimes people blame God when disasters happen, whether natural or man-made. One character in this book did, and it almost cost him the love of his life. 

Nancy is known to be a consummate hostess, and that night was no exception. The table was set to perfection with beautiful china and silver, everything was immaculate and there were fresh flowers in every room. The foods would have been award-winning, had there been a contest:  a shrimp and orzo main dish, excellent potato salad, roasted asparagus (my offering), watermelon/feta salad (one of my favorites), marinated cucumbers, a squash casserole and for dessert:  home-made lemon meringue pie and home-made chocolate-chip cookies. A veritable feast for the mouth and the eyes!!

Now - the odds and ends:  

I went shopping today and my last stop was the grocery. I entered, got a cart and had gone 25 feet into the store when the power went out. Boy, was it ever dark! In a few seconds, the generators kicked in and part of the store was lit enough to see fairly well. Outside, there was a storm heavy enough to cause floods; with lightning and thunder galore.  Luckily, by the time I was finished shopping, the storm had let up enough that I could run to the car without getting totally drenched! ( thought)  Good thing I keep a few hand towels in the car; they came in handy. 

How is your weather this week?  

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

What was the name of the book. Lots of friends and relatives were on the edge of that disaster. I was happy to see a little meat on your bones. Always jealous of your skinny appearance.

Star said...

Mostly grey. Which is now that I think of it, the color I just chose to paint my living room. I wonder if the two are related.? I did want to tell you that there are few places darker than a grocery store in a power outage. Especially the prep areas in the back where there are no windows to the outside ,