Saturday, March 25, 2017

Some Excitement at Lunch Today

Today we went to have lunch with some old friends at The Cypress, a residential facility for elders here in town. This photo was looking out onto their waterfall from inside the dining room. It will be even prettier when all the plants and trees leaf out.

We had a nice lunch, and then went to the entrance. Our gentleman friend (age 92) went to the men's room and then he joined us in the lobby. As he approached the center table, he placed a hand on it and started to buckle at the knees. Jim said, Tom (not his real name), are you okay, and he answered no. I took two steps and put my hands under his elbows, just as he started to fall backwards. He was too heavy for me to hold, so we both fell - but I was able to break his fall and keep his head from hitting the wood floor. I didn't get hurt at all, and my head did not hit the floor either - although I fell onto carpet, for which I am most thankful.

This photo is of our friend, still on the floor, and a nurse from the on-site medical facility. The concierge had called the med. facility as well as EMS. Meanwhile, his wife was calling their daughter, who lives about 20 minutes away. 

The EMS squad arrived swiftly and began asking questions, which we all answered, including the man who fell. He was asked if he had any health problems and he said "No, "  and I told the nurse that he had suffered a heart attack this past Christmas. They did an EKG on the spot and although it looked good, they recommended that he go to the hospital to be checked out. He said he didn't want to go, but his daughter was able to change his mind about that. 

Meanwhile, the nurse at the Cypress was examining me. I said "I don't even live here", and she said that any time there was an incident and someone fell, they had to be examined too. So I let her do a BP check and a few other things. I was fine.

We accompanied his wife back to her home and stayed with her until her son-in-law arrived. I am so glad we were with them when it happened, glad that I was able to break his fall and very glad that I had no ill- after-effects from my fall. I was able to drive home with no problems.

9 comments:

Star said...

Never a dull moment. Thank goodness you were there, and able to help.

tiff said...

Today you were his angel!

Nancy said...



Good for you, Judy. Quick thinking..Happy it all turned out OK.

Pat said...

Well done Judy. His family must have been so glad you were there. Sometimes we forget our age and frailties and rush like Palov's dogs to help in a case like that. So glad you had no ill effects.

Granny Annie said...

Your instincts were so quick to go to his aid. Good for you Judy. So glad you were not injured too.

Celia said...

Good work Judy. Fast action and thinking. So glad you are alright, hope your friend will be also.

kenju said...

He is fine; they let him go home on Sunday night at 7 pm. He told us that he has a bad knee, and that is why he fell. I don't believe it for a minute - it is more like low blood pressure.

joared said...

Fortunate that all happened right there with so much assistance available. Glad all ended up well. Impt all heads protected from hitting the floor though carpet helps.

Ginnie said...

You were at the right place at the right time ... but it's a wonder that you weren't injured too. So glad you weren't.