Friday, September 19, 2014

A Quick Trip to the Hospital Laboratory....and a Rapid Return

Since the doctor upped the dosage of some meds I am taking, I needed blood drawn to check levels of potassium, etc. I went there today and the technician who drew the blood was so good that I didn't feel a thing when she pushed the needle into my arm. She bandaged me and I went on my way. 

I stopped by the ladies room and then walked out to the parking lot. Just as I was about to enter the stairwell to my level, my arm felt wet. I looked down and blood was pouring down my arm and onto my purse. I pressed on the wound but it didn't stop, so I ran back into the hospital, stopped at the bathroom to get paper towels and ran back to the lab. 

The technician pressed a large piece of folded gauze on my arm for a few seconds and then wrapped it with a tourniquet bandage, which she told me to remove within two minutes. I had to wash my arm and my purse, and then when I pulled my shirtsleeve down, I was red all over again - there was a lot of blood on the inside of my black T-shirt sleeve. After washing for the second time and blotting the blood on my sleeve, I could leave. I was leery of removing the bandage, but when I did, there was no more bleeding. However, it looks like I don't know what - and I think if I go out tomorrow, I'd better wear long sleeves. 

If I had had my phone with me, I'd have taken a photo of all the bleeding, but for the first time in years, I'd left the house without it. 

9 comments:

Celia said...

OMG, did she tear a vein? Hope you're okay today. Gentle technique, bad aim.

Pat said...

A bit alarming that the technician expected you to remove the tourniquet. Couldn't she spare two minutes?
Hope all well again.

Anonymous said...

Yikes. The tech must have done something really wrong to get a bleed like that. Glad it finally stopped.

Ginnie said...

Wow...did that happen down here?
Its crazy that you didn't feel a thing and then to have that happen. Was the lab tech upset? You could have asked to see her supervisor but it probably wouldn't help. So sorry for that Judy.

Arkansas Patti said...

So sorry for that scary time plus ruined clothes. Someone sure didn't do their job.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a horrid experience, Judy. It sounds like she hit some very important vein! Hospitals and Doctors---HELP!!!!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you were able to have it taken care of at the hospital instead of getting all the way home and having to drive back! My veins are so stubborn, it's hard to get a few drops of blood!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, but I'm glad the bleeding finally stopped. So scary.

Granny Annie said...

I take blood thinners and that doesn't even happen to me. Something definitely went wrong and the tech probably wanted you out of there fast. You need to tell the lab supervisor.