Thursday, August 28, 2014

I Play Games

Well.....word games, that is.

Scrabble, the board game, has been part of my life since I was in high school. I played with friends back then and a neighbor after I married. My children all  played it with me, but they didn't like getting beaten most of the time  (and I hated to let them win often) so they gradually stopped. 

Did you let your children win at games? 

Little did I know back in the 50's and 60's that it would be possible to play this game with people who were separated from me by hundreds and even thousands of miles, on different continents, across oceans. I am not sure which I prefer; face-to-face gaming or on the computer - but I am very grateful for the opportunity to play it every day, no matter how it is done. There are two other games I play in addition to Scrabble:  Wordscraper and Lexulous, both of which are derivatives of the former. I love Wordscraper because the scoring is so wild, and huge scores are possible. 

I have 5-6 people with whom I have been playing regularly for several years, and a few others who came into it recently. I even play with anonymous people from time to time, but I have noticed that if I win a few games, they stop playing. I have never cared if I win or lose - it is the game that interests me. Sometimes I eschew a more high-scoring play in favor of one that seems interesting or clever to me at the time.  It feels good to win, though.....LOL

Today I was thinking about the people with whom I play; they are as varied as snowflakes. Three retired schoolteachers (in NC, FL and WA), a former psychologist (MI, NC and FL), a chicken farmer in Oklahoma, a former actress and model in the UK,  a Pennsylvania grocery manager, a former singer; only three of whom I have met in person. Now I am also playing with a Singapore ex-pat (formerly of Raleigh), whom I have spoken to on the phone, but never met.  

All but one of these people is a blogger, and that is how we all initially "met." I am so grateful to my son, who introduced me to the computer back in 1999. I don't know what I'd do with out it.  

Do you play computer games (specifically word games)?  Wanna' play with me? I think I can handle a few more.....LOL


9 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I spend way too much time on the computer as it is without playing games too. My mother loves Scrabble and always wins, but not on a computer. I hate all board games only because I'm useless at them! Ha.

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog! Can't find Wordscraper on the APP Store. Have to practice Lexulous before I take you on!

Ginnie said...

If I'm waiting for something to come up on the computer I will play Solitaire but that's about it. I tried playing hearts with other "live" people. I had no idea where they were from but one time I goofed up and all 3 of the other players didn't go on to play with me again ... that was enough to tell me to stay off !!

Arkansas Patti said...

I grew up on word games, we didn't have TV, but I have never played Scrabble. I know, unAmerican. My sister loves playing various Internet games with strangers. I haven't dabbled yet.

tiff said...

I SUUUUCK at wordgames,always have. SO neat though that you can play with so many wonderful folks!

Star said...

You know I love to play. You are tough to beat lady, but always fun to play. Don't you just love it when you have a great word and a way to play it. And don't you just hate when you have an amazing word and no way to get it on the board !

Granny Annie said...

Either you left me out or you think I live in Arkansas instead of Oklahoma. And yes, you do like to win:)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't play games on the computer---Once in a while I play a form of Solitaire, only it's not with cards, and it is matching certain colorful symbols with each other---I play it in "ZEN" mode, which is very very relaxing and there is no pressure about winning or losing....And it is something I do every once in a while when I feel the need for relaxation..
I know who your UK Scrabble partner is....And I bet it is fun to play Scrabble with her....

sage said...

years ago I played one game of scrabble and a few of chess, but decided if I wasn't face-to-face, I'd forgo playing. I'm glad you have found something rewarding.