Friday, May 09, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

My first grandchild, my first daughter and me. This child she holds is now a sophomore in college, and his mama is a nurse, studying for higher degrees and proving herself to be a great role model for her children (all 4 of them) in the grades department. 

I have another daughter and a son, and the three together make up a wonderful family. How Blessed can I be?  No mom ever had better children. And I am grateful for them and for their love and care. 


My adoptive mom, in the 50's.  She's been gone since 1985, and I still miss her, despite the fact that we didn't have a great relationship in the last 4-5 years of her life. I miss what might have been.
Nevertheless, she was a good mother and tried her best to do right by me. I realize now what a nice upbringing I had, and how good it was to grow up in the 40's, 50's and 60's in our town. It was idyllic and I am grateful for the opportunities it afforded me and for the friendships I made and have retained. 



My birth mother, Martha. She said my birth father always loved seeing a woman in a hat. Maybe he transferred that love to me, since in the 40's and 50's, I loved wearing them, and even modeled them, on occasion. I still like wearing them, but they make me feel conspicuous most of the time.  I owe a debt of gratitude to Martha also, for giving birth to me. In 1940, it cannot have been easy - given the tenor of the times - to be a 16 year old pregnant, unmarried girl. She had a step-mother who wouldn't allow her to keep me, and a father who wouldn't go against the wishes of his wife.  She promised my adoptive parents that she wouldn't try to contact me until after they had died, and she didn't. That, my friends, is integrity; something I find sorely lacking in 2014. We can learn some valuable lessons from our parents and grandparents. It is sad that some people don't realize that until it is too late. 

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers, grandmothers, step-mothers, and want-to-be mothers - and let us not forget the aunts of the world - those second mothers we have  (if we are lucky) to pick up the slack of mothering when it is sorely needed.



7 comments:

kerry said...

And Happy Mother's Day to YOU!

Great pictures - nice to have those visuals.

LL Cool Joe said...

It isn't mother's day here in the UK, we've already had ours in March, but i hope you have a good day.

Celia said...

And a Happy Mother's Day to you too Judy.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Wonderful pictures Judy, and a wonderful post. A Very Happy Mothers Day to you, my dear....
You and your dear husband must have done a truly good and loving job as parents---that all your children are such terrific loving human beings!
Happy Mothers Day to your dear daughters and daughter-in-laws, too!

Granny Annie said...

Judy you always make the most loving posts about family. It is obvious how important they all are to you. Anything that might have been lacking in your childhood has been more than made up for by your life as a loving mother and I truly wish you the very best Mother's Day.

Arkansas Patti said...

Happy Mother's day Judy. Hope you get to enjoy your younguns.
How nice that you have two mothers to remember.

Anonymous said...

Your birth mother was very beautiful, in more ways than one. I'm glad you have that story as it must make you feel stronger to know of the stock from which you came. Strong stock with integrity.