Friday, November 29, 2013

And I Am Thankful.....

Every year for the past 6-7, we have received fresh, NC-made sausage from our friends Billy Day and his wife Sandra,  (brother to my employer, Mel). It is the main highlight of many breakfasts  (sausage biscuits, dontcha' know!) and I use it to make dressing for the turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Alas, I just received word that owing to the recent death of the sausage man's wife, he will no longer be making sausage.  I am in mourning. We have never had such good sausage; it was perfectly seasoned and always tasty, no matter how it was used. I am sorry for the sausage man's loss, but I confess to being sorrier that we won't have it any longer. 

And yet, I am thankful for the pounds of it that we have consumed for the last few years and will (must) be content with the memories of those times.

At home today, basking in the warmth of my recliner and my laptop, I am very thankful that I am not out in the melee known as Black Friday. We have haircuts later this morning and I will gladly go out for that and perhaps pedicures afterward. I am always thankful for a pedicure!

We  (Mel Day and the gang) start Christmas decorating tomorrow; Sullivan's restaurant and the Hampton Inn at Brier Creek first and the NC Governor's Mansion on Monday. I am always exhausted after doing it, but I would not miss it for the world and I am ever thankful to have the God-given the talents I have that make it possible.

Our family  (sans son and his family) gathered together yesterday at our younger daughters home, along with son-in-law's parents, sister, brother-in-law and assorted children and girlfriends. We are so blessed to have them in our family and our lives. I can truly say a good time was had by all, and of course, some excellent food passed through our lips  (as well as laughter.) Beef tenderloin, baked ham, turkey breasts, dressing, potatoes, beans, mac and cheese, gravy, rolls - I'm sure to be leaving something out. Then came desserts:  apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate chess pie and bread pudding; the latter two made by my son-in-law. He has a newly discovered fondness for baking delectable treats - and we approve!!  And I am thankful.

Lastly, among the many treasures in my life, I am grateful for my blog and Facebook friends. You bring me many hours of pleasure each week  (who am I kidding?  Every day!!) Thanks for all your posts, comments, asides, jokes, cartoons and yes, even the inspirational sayings and photos. I am grateful for it all.


7 comments:

Beverly said...

Love this post. Have a good day.

tiff said...

Many riches in your life - so good to stop for a moment and give thanks for all of it. :)

tiff said...

Hey - Google ate my comment, so here's another: it's good to stop and just recognize the blessings, isn't it? Sounds like you and kin had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving celebration, and a lovely list of things to be thankful for.

Granny Annie said...

We are thankful for you and your long leadership in the blog world. Between your two blogs you have been here about the longest of any of us and we have enjoyed many decorated seasons with you.

sage said...

I first fell in love with sausage that was made at the Hallsboro General Store (between Whiteville and Lake Waccamaw). I am glad our little down in Michigan has a meat market that makes good (and spicy) sausage. Happy Thanksgivng, I'll look forward to your decorating posts.

Anonymous said...

Christmas decorating means pretty pictures! Enjoy and don't overdo it.