Friday, August 16, 2013

My Mama Used to Say....

she was a good cook, for her size. And she really was.  Everyone laughed when she said that, seeing as how she was quite large (most of the time.) She tried to get me interested in cooking, but I didn't care anything about cooking or food, until I quit smoking. Little by little, I learned on my own.

Today, I declare I am a good soup-maker  (for any size.)  I made crock-pot pork chops on Wednesday; a recipe I got from Facebook. They were not a big hit, since they got too dry. I was determined to use that pork in some other way, as there was too much left to toss it out. 

I got a large Dutch oven and poured some fat-free/low sodium chicken stock into it. The pork chops went into a colander so I could wash off the remaining sauce (chicken/mushroom soup and ranch dressing mix). I broke the chops into bite-sized pieces, adding it to the broth. I put in some sauteed mushrooms from the night before, that had been cooked with onions and celery. Then I added a can of diced tomatoes, a can of green beans, about 1/2 cup of barley and a large dollop of left-over mashed potatoes. A generous sprinkling of Mrs. Dash finished it off, along with another of black pepper. It simmered for 30 minutes, then after cooling it went into the fridge for a few hours. I warmed it up for dinner tonight and it was delicious.  I love using mostly left-overs to make soup! 

On Sunday, we will have lived here a month. I surprised everyone by cleaning up the garage well enough to pull the car in 3 nights ago. Mr. K was certain that I'd not be able to do that for months and months. I love proving him wrong! The living areas are all usable and neat, although if you open a closet or cabinet, stuff may fall out....lol. We are enjoying being here quite a lot. 

But there is an albatross around our necks, and it is the other home we are trying to sell. It hasn't been on the market long, so we are trying not to get too anxious about it. No doubt, it is stressful, though, so a quick sale would be beneficial in many ways. If you are a praying person, will you join us in praying for that?  We'd be ever so grateful. 


12 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I hate cooking, and I'm really not that interested in food.

I definitely will pray that your house sells. I know what a stressful time that can be. I'm glad you are so settled in your new home and that you managed to get the car in the garage. That is an achievement!

Celia said...

I'll keep you in my prayers, that you have peaceful hearts and your good sale will come soon.

Granny Annie said...

I am a praying person and will do so. Now you must let go and let God. That seems to be the hardest part for you isn't it? lol

Pat said...

Right Judy in case I forget tonight I'll say a little prayer right now.xox

Ginnie said...

I read somewhere that if you bury a statue of St. Francis on the property it will sell .......
Just saying !!

poopie said...

i love to cook which is not good for somebody who doesn't have a functioning stove!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Prayers coming your way, right now, my dear Judy...! I hope something GREAT happens in the next few days..!

Congratulations on getting your Garage to this point so quickly!

My mother was a Fabulous cook, and I am a pretty good one---Though I don't cook anymore, at all....Mobility Problems....But I love reading about taking leftovers and making something Fantastic out of them....That, is an ART!!

Nancy said...


Dear Judy,

I will say a little prayer to St. Joseph, the patron Saint of selling homes. I'm sure he will help you.

It took a few months for my home in Florida to sell recently but in the end everything turned out just fine.

I wish you the same.

Mary McPhee said...

Hi, Judy: I’m writing to ask if you remember an elderblog of a few years past, Code Name Nora. Using a novelistic style and in third-person voice, Nora wrote about life in her retirement community she called the Twilight Zone, “a hazy, purplish place between bright, vivid life and the utter darkness of oblivion.” (But not to be morbid.) I think you were one of my faithful readers. I just wanted to tell you that the old girl is still alive, still writing, in fact blogging again, but she’s lonely and would love to have you visit. She’s concentrating now on the books she written and published on Amazon’s Kindle program—eight, would you believe it—among which is Code Name Nora. Go to: www.marymacsbooktique.blogspot.com

Gilly said...

That soup sounds like a main meal! And gorgeous as well. I love making casseroles.

I will pray for a sale for you. My daughter waited months to sell their house, and then got the buyer from hell, who withdrew at a late stage, having messed them around for ages. Now they have a perfectly normal buyer and the sale will hopefully be completed in a couple of weeks.

JeanMac said...

Will add you and your home to my list!Hoping for a super quick sale.

Anonymous said...

said a prayer that your house will sell ... that is a worry for you. But, wow! the car in the garage ... amazing!