Monday, June 03, 2013

Do Idiots Grow on Trees?

Apparently they do here in my house!    lol

We were expecting painters by 9am on Saturday, so I got up early and moved things out of their way; stashed my valuables, etc., and unplugged the TV/cable/DVD in our bedroom so I could move the TV table into the bathroom. 

I went downstairs and did the same thing in the den, although I didn't need to move the TV in that room. After breakfast, I tried to get on my computer and nothing would work. I asked mr. kenju if he had unplugged the modem or router and he said he had not, so I checked the modem, and only 2 of the 5 lights were lit. I looked at it periodically for the next hour or so and it still wouldn't work, so I called Time-Warner and reported the outage. 

The clerk said they could schedule me for Tuesday afternoon. Remember, I made the call on Saturday. I said to the guy "Surely you don't expect me to be without TV or the internet for 4 days?!" and while feigning sympathetic support, he repeatedly said it could not be before Tuesday. I warned him that we were moving soon, and if they didn't get my computers and TV's up and running well before Tuesday that the next call they got from me would be to cancel our service instead of transferring it. He said he was sorry I felt that way, but his hands "were tied."

My daughter took over and called the cable company, and she was able to get them to set a repair visit on Monday between 12 and 4. This morning at 9:40, I got a robo-call from Time Warner, to ascertain whether or not we still needed a service call. I pressed the number for yes, and I was told that he would arrive within 20 minutes. Twenty, thirty and then forty minutes later, we were still waiting. Finally, at 12:20, the repair guy called and said he'd be here in 10 minutes. True to his word, he arrived promptly and I showed him the affected TVs and computers. He plugged in the cable transformer I had removed from the wall on Sat. morning, and voila:  it all worked!!  Turns out that what I had thought was a transformer was a booster for our cable signal. Duh. Don't unplug that one Judy, if you want to use your computer. Now comes the part that made me the maddest:  When I first called the cable repair line, I asked the man if my unplugging that cable and TV had anything to do with the outage - and he emphatically said "NO, there can't be a connection there." So, I took him at his word. If only I had plugged it back in - just to check.

So, in the meantime, we've been dealing with painters and power washers, at the same time I am getting ready for a garage sale - and spending nearly every waking moment gathering items to sell, placing them, pricing them and trying to find room for more. The painters never came on Saturday, but the power washer came at 4:30 (despite saying he would arrive at 2pm.)

Speaking about 5 words of English (and I'm being generous with his vocabulary), we told him what to do - and what not to do - and he indicated that he understood. He proceeded to start washing the house, which wasn't on the agenda, except for one side. He was supposed to to the decking, concrete walkways, stairs and driveway, and one side of the house which had some tree sap on it. He finished at 9:30, but he failed to do the side of the house. When the contractor called, we apprised him of that and he said he would do it Monday, while the painters were here. He had promised to be here at 8am this morning, but showed up at 9am. Not five minutes before that, mr. kenju had threatened to fire the lot of them if they didn't get here by 9 am. I asked him to wait until 10am. and I was very pleased that the crew came at 9.

The contractor set about to explain to the guy doing the power washing what had to be done  (it was not the same man as on Saturday) and he told him to do part of the front of the house too, to get rid of some cobwebs. At the time he started washing, I was standing in the garage which rivals Sanford and Son's shop, full of the detritus of the last 6-7 years, since my last garage sale. All of a sudden, water comes rushing into the garage, under the door. I run to grab shop towels to stem the tide so that the stuff in the floor doesn't get wet and then go outside, waving my arms and speaking loudly in the best Spanish I can muster......Senor, mas agua.....while gesturing toward the base of the garage door. I should have said "Cuidado....piso mojado"  (we see it on signs in places where the floor is wet....lol)

The course of my weekend did not run smoothly:  no TV, no internet, no Facebook or scrabble, dealing with know-nothing cable repair people, with contractors who don't show up or come very late. But.....it all turned out well in the end. I got a lot done in the garage, since I didn't have Facebook calling my name. The painters finished today and it looks good; they were neat and clean and they replaced all the switch plates, etc. before they left.

Life is good.....even if I am an idiot sometimes. 

13 comments:

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

NOT SO BAD, MY DEAR. I have done similar. I will blog about the latest for tomorrows post. Glad you are back, I missed you.

Star said...

I think this falls under "it's always something". Glad you are back. Are you really moving?

Bernie said...

WOW - that is SUCH a frustrating experience for you... One that you didn't need or want I suppose!!??

Shiny Rod said...

you sure had a fun weekend...:)

Celia said...

You are a survivor, good for you.

Anonymous said...

You did good! Our internet had been so spotty for months, we actually signed a contract for a Verizon Jet Pack to use for all those times ATT went down. So of course, as soon we signed on the dotted line, ATT is as stable as it has ever been since we moved here. Oh well. Our internet addictions run the show!

amarkonmywall said...

Sounds as though moving has Mr and Mrs Kenju a bit frazzled. You seem to be going like gangbusters so you'll get through it. Just hang on.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

As my friend Ken use to say, if it isn't one thing, it's ten!!! Ain't it the truth, Judy....
I've just been talking with people about how no one does what they say they are going to do these days....No one shows up at the appointed time, etc., etc., etc....
Are you and Mr. Kenju really moving? Or is this all Spring Cleaning?

LL Cool Joe said...

4 days? You were lucky! When we have an issue with the phone line or internet it's always 5 days and involves long phone discussions with someone from India!

Workman never turn up when they say they will. :D

Anonymous said...

All's Well That Ends Well!

Glad to know that I am not the only one to make mistakes.

tiff said...

Gah!! I really don't understand why being able to communicate in the local language isn't a necessity for being allowed to interact with customers. So many mistakes are made because of it.

Happy for you that it all worked out in the end.

Granny Annie said...

Oh my goodness, bless your heart. Should we have known you are moving? I certainly missed that somewhere along the way. Meanwhile I am glad all is well that ends well. My sister called me in a panic at 6:30 Saturday morning crying "Help me, my computer is acting crazy". What is this vital life link we all have now to the internet. Is in indeed a new and vital appendage.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sheesh, I'm aggravated just reading about your contractors.
I did once call my Internet provider about "no service". He suggested the #1 reason for most electronic problems, the ole plug. Sure enough, evidently when vacuuming the tangle of wires, I had accidentally unplugged the modem. You are not alone.