Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Quote of Note + A Question

In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. 


Lee Iacocca, automobile executive (b. 1924) 


Lee was a smart man. 


I've read (but can't confirm) that he was the original idea man behind the Minivans brought out by Chrysler Motors in the 80's. Considering how ubiquitous they are, those of us who own them owe him a debt of gratitude. 


////\\\\


Did you know anyone who avoids rain to the extent that he/she will not leave the house when it is raining, or if there is a chance of it?  I am here to tell you that it is maddening!! This person's father was the same way. It has gotten so bad that our daughter calls this person "Doppler", since he is always quoting the weather people. GAH!

8 comments:

Thumper said...

I've never known anyone who would work so hard to avoid rain. I won't take the bike out in it, but other than that...I'm pretty sure no one has ever really melted in the rain...

My dad was a huge weather freak, but even he would at least go out in it (until he got to where he didn't want to go outside at all...)

Jean Campbell said...

I was not quite a teenageer when my mother learned to drive. One day it was about to rain and Daddy wanted something from town. She expressed concern about the weather and he said, "Oh, when they built the paved road they built it to be safe in the rain." It was years before I figured out that he invented that rationale.

Arkansas Patti said...

Hum, makes you wonder what tramatic event happened to them in the rain. I personally love to walk in a gentle rain and don't know any rainaphobics.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't know anyone who is completely Rain-a-phobic..(?)...
Personally I rather like the rain, and didin't mind going out in it---Except if it was torrential type rain....The streets overflow here in about 5 seconds...So, that's not a lot of fun....But generally, if I had to go out, I went---even in the heaviest of rains...
"The Show Must Go On", you know.

Granny Annie said...

"Let's check the weather report" I used to say to my spouse and he would respond, "Why? We're going regardless." and that finally started making sense to me.

I don't know if this is true, but I once heard that the highest paid profession in India is teacher. That made sense to me. But it is also probably why we have so many great doctors in the USA from India.

Celia said...

My son's father grew up in Norway and teachers there were valued highly and it was a desirable profession. Being from Seattle, my family does whatever they planned rain or not. Now I live on the dry side of Washington I discovered several people who refuse to leave the house if its raining! They're going to in a lot as the weather here has really changed in 13 years I've been here. Last week was all rain, and cold.

Kay Dennison said...

I love Lee Iaccoca and have read his books!!!!!

Rain slows me down a bit but doesn't stop me. Snow, on the other hand, requires more thought.

Haddock said...

Did read about Lee Iaccoca and how he turned around Chrysler. It was craze in those days.