Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm Mad....and I'm just about to the point....

where I won't take it anymore.

I checked my bank statement on-line today and saw a $2 service fee. I had no idea what it might be for, so I called the bank. The clerk said it was a fee for "receiving the images of my cancelled checks in my printed statements." I had no idea they were beginning to charge for that. They have tried to get me to give up printed statements - but I am not about to do that. What if my computer crashes and I am without one for a while? I need those paper statements!!

I mentioned that because I am over 65, and we also have a charter account with that bank, I was not supposed to have any fees charged to my account. She said no other fees apply, only these (and I presume any others they think up later on and tack on without my knowledge.)

I asked her to remove that fee, since I had been unaware of it - and gave her permission to stop sending the images of cancelled checks monthly - as long as I am able to see those check images on-line. She assured me I would be able to, but she couldn't remove the current $2 charge. Grrrrrrr.

I know how they communicate new fees. They print it in the smallest and faintest letters possible and stick it in a remote corner of the statement, so most people never see the warning and most won't bother about calling for $2. They get rich that way. 

We are not talking about a lot of money now, but if they continue to think up ways to charge more for all/any of their services - it could eventually amount to a bunch! What is next?  

I told that clerk  (she referred to herself as a relationship banker)  that her bank was slowly forcing me to close that account and bank through my credit union account only. It will cause some extra paperwork and phone calls (to change automatic deposits and bill-paying, which I have been loathe to do) but I'm reaching the point where anything will be better than having to fight them for additional fees nearly every month.

Have you had similar problems? 

12 comments:

Ginnie said...

I guess a "relationship banker" doesn't have much power ! I am so glad I do all my banking with SECU and can really feel your frustration.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Judy, I left banking ages ago and use the Credit Union. I am very happy with them. No surprises. It is worth changing things..

Beverly said...

I haven't run into that problem, but if I do, I'll switch to the credity union solely.

Granny Annie said...

To get bank fees refunded you need to go in the bank and sit down at the desk of a bank corporate officer (Vice president or above). Express what you have stated here and you'll get your $2 back. Your "relationship banker" does not value your relationship nor have the power to fulfill your request. "What's the big deal over $2?" To the bank it's not a big deal, to you it is.

Star said...

So far I have not. I would feel much the same as you. Changing your automatic payments may not be as challenging as you are thinking it will.

Peruby said...

On my on-line account, checks are only "viewable" for a certain amount of time, then they are not - you have to request a "view" and pay for it.

I think it is 60 days or so.

sage said...

No fees except when we can slip 'em in... Credit Unions do have advantages.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Banks are SOOO High handed! This is a great example of how they slip in some kind of "fee" which they should not.
Good luck with this Judy...I hope you can get them to remove that fee, one way or another, my dear.

I do not Bank on-line, and never intend to. So, it will be interesting if they start tacking on fees for "paper" statements as time goes by.
It was THEIR choice to stop sending your canceled checks back to you--And I find the printed checks difficult to read because they are so tiny....Now, the babk is going to charge for this service??? NO WAY!

rennratt said...

We switched completely to CFCU years ago, and never looked back. They are more than reasonable - and NICE to boot!

Peter said...

Hi Judy, don't get me started on Banks and other all powerful organizations GRRR.
Thanks for your concern about Merle, there was such a wonderful change in her general health that I wanted to know where my sister was!!! but having seen how she was at her worst I am still concerned for her when I head for home in about a week.
Life wasn't meant to be easy, as one of our Prime Ministers of the 90s was fond of telling us.

Tracie Nall said...

Dealing with banks is so frustrating. I have given a lot of thought to moving solely to a credit union, too.

undermentals said...

True it will take about a month for everything to wash out and a little while to do the paper work but definitely in this day and age Credit Union is the way to go, Judy. Commercial banks will still keep finding ways to increase heir profits at our expense, Credit Unions just have to cover their costs.