Thursday, December 01, 2011

NC Governor's Mansion Holiday Decor, Part Two



















The photos got out of order, but I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. We finished at The Mansion today; a bittersweet occasion, to be sure. It is the very best place we work all year long, and we always hate to leave. We will go back for a party on the 11th, and I may have more photos from that night to show you. 

Two of my favorite trustees** were there again this year.  "Ask and ye shall receive" is not just a saying there - it really is their motto. I was happy to learn that neither of them will be at The Mansion by next Christmas, which means they will be going home to their families. I wished them good luck and God speed. 

** Trustees are men from the state prison who work in the mansion everyday and go back to the prison at night. They learn trades, such as baking, cooking and gardening, and they do all kinds of manual labor at the mansion, such as vacuuming and silver polishing. Chosen for their "good behavior" (I suppose) they are so very nice to us and make our stay there very pleasant. 

12 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE All the wonderful arrangements you did Judy...! It seems as if there is a very different "look" this year, or maybe we just didn't see everything yet....Lovely choices---ALL!!!!! I remember how much you enjoy working there at the Mansion from years past. How nice that it STILL remains such a memorable place to create your Christmas Magic! It all looks so very very festive and pretty!

Gilly said...

Judy, those are simply wonderful arrangements! I especially love the nandina berries (whatever they might be!) in that simple vase, and also the arrangement in the tarnished silver. Absolutely beautiful. And I'm pleased you will be going to a party there to reward you for all your very hard work.

And I look forward to some photos from there!!

Star said...

I agree, it does seem to have a different look. It is indeed lovely.i love the tree ornament with the soldier's photo.

Granny Annie said...

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

kenju said...

I just realized I posted the same arrangement twice. I was SO tired last night!

Grannymar said...

Judy, they are wonderful and worth seeing over and over again!

Arkansas Patti said...

How nice that you are invited back for a party. Don't suppose the trustees get an invite. How nice that this is their last Christmas and will soon be free.
Loved the first one the best but the soldier's photo gave a tug.

Looking to the Stars said...

Wow, I LOVE it when you post the pics of the gov's mansion. You did such beautiful work :)

It is so enlightmented of your gov to have the trustee's working at the mansion. No wonder your state is so great, you have great leadership!

I'm with you and glad that these trustee's will be home next year :)

Anonymous said...

Judy--Love the blue spray! As to, "I just realized I posted the same arrangement twice." I took that as our "contrast and compare" challenge and was going nuts with it - lol!
Cop Car

Arkansas Patti said...

Your current post about giving American won't load properly on my computer nor can I access the comments section. I have seen that before however and think it is just a wonderful idea.

sage said...

I always love these posts. But are their ghost in the women's parlor? A tobacco wreath would be a good subject of conversation up here, but I don't know if I would be allowed to have it in the house. Is it recycled after Christmas? ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the dining room mantel!