Thursday, November 03, 2011

quotes

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write. 


William Makepeace Thackeray, novelist (1811-1863) 


*******


The Potter books in general are a prolonged argument for tolerance, a prolonged plea for an end to bigotry, and I think it's one of the reasons that some people don't like the books, but I think that it's a very healthy message to pass on to younger people that you should question authority and you should not assume that the establishment or the press tells you all of the truth. 


J.K. Rowling, novelist (b. 1965) 


*******




As for the first quote, I believe it, but at this moment, I have no thoughts, apparently (save these.)


The second quote is so true and I can't fathom why there are people who will not allow their children to read the Potter books (especially the first several.)

9 comments:

Gilly said...

I like the first quote - but I do wish that sometimes the thoughts that are supposedly buried would surface a bit!

I've never read the Potter books, but nothing I have heard about them makes me think they are unsuitable for anyone!

Pat said...

My predominating thought at the moment is why can't I start a new game with my friend Judy?

Pat said...

The Potter books had me flummoxed - I was thinking Beatrix. the the penny dropped. I haven't read a single one I'm afraid.

Arkansas Patti said...

I haven't read the Potter books but any author who can turn children on to the written word is Ok in my book.

Sparkling Red said...

I didn't get into the Potter books myself, but if they're teaching tolerance and acceptance I'm all for them!

Granny Annie said...

I have never read the Harry Potter stories but I have loved them because the have inspired all of our grandchildren to read. After hearing that quote you posted, I might just have to now read them myself.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Good quotes Judy. Here's my donation:

"Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They've got nothing to lose." ~Robin Williams

Anonymous said...

Judy--Not caring a fig for fantasy, I haven't read the Potter books; but, I can't imagine why anyone thinks a kid shouldn't read them. Is that from the religious right fringe that equates Potter with the profane?
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

You should see my yard now. Talk about leaves...I have lots of oak leaves still on the oak tree and a lot of them have fallen on the ground. And there are those tiny locust leaves that go everywhere and while you can't see them in the grass, they are tracked inside on the bottom of shoes.

Your tree leaves look something like Red Maple, a slow growing maple tree with the side show all year long of red leaves.