The Flower Shuttle was this morning and I left home in a rush about 8:50, before the chimney guys showed up. After the shuttle, I ran errands and I was standing in line at the pharmacy when my cell phone rang. It was Mr. Kenju, telling me....."You won't believe it, but the chimney righted itself!!" He was right, I didn't believe it.
In case you don't remember (or haven't been reading about our Hurricane Irene saga) the broken top part of the chimney (approximately 14 feet down from the top, which was estimated to weigh 5-6,000 pounds, had been leaning back against the edge of the roof ever since the tree fell on the house and broke it. The break opening was approx. 4". The chimney repairmen started work yesterday morning, and by mid-day today, they had removed about two feet of the top of the chimney. Suddenly, according to the guy on the roof scaffolding, the chimney started to rock a little, and he had no idea what it was going to do - but luckily it settled back on top of the lower section of the chimney and except for some broken mortar, one might have a hard time realizing that it had ever been broken and leaning back that far!
|It's sort of dark, but you can still see the break here (above the black tape and between the windows).|
|This photo and the two below were taken Tuesday afternoon, after the chimney did it's rocking and rolling and settled back into it's original position.|
At this point, since it is back in place, we could conceivably have them repair it instead of replacing it; however, since we've learned that the chimney was not built completely to code 35+ years ago, we are opting to have it rebuilt from the break up, and they will also replace all the flue tiles and bring them up to code. According to them, it will be just as good as new when they are done. The chimney guys said they have never seen anything like that happen in all their years of work with chimneys.