Sunday, August 20, 2006

I Love New York - Part 3






Click to enlarge.
You know from prior posts how I like food. On this trip, most meals were eaten on the run, either at the kitchen counter or beside a Sabrett hot dog cart on a street corner. One excellent exception was the night we met my brother-in-law for dinner, at Joe's Shanghai Restaurant at 9 Pell Street in Chinatown. They have five restaurants in NYC.


Their claim to fame is the little soup dumpling shown on the business card, above. We had both shrimp and crab dumplings, then sesame chicken and orange beef, two of my favorites. Tsing Tao beer and hot tea rounded out the night's menu.

According to their menu, they have been lauded by such notable sources as The NY Times, Gourmet Magazine, Travel and Leisure, Zagat Survey and NY Magazine. I can see why. The food was excellent, the service good, if a bit frenzied. I would advise you to go early. We got there at about 6:30 pm and the place was already almost full. By the time we left, an hour or so later, the line formed out the door.


Dessert was found at Wing Sing, an Asian bakery around the corner and up the street from Joe's. The lower photo is a shot of one of their display cases. The cakes looked almost too pretty to eat, but eat them we did. I had something called Mango Creme, brother-in-law had almond cake, daughter had cheese cake and granddaughter had something equally sinful, though I can't remember what it was. We also had coffee, served Hong Kong style, with cream and sugar. It had been at least 25 years since I had coffee any way but black, so it was a real treat as well. The biggest treat of the night was when my brother-in-law picked up the bill. Thanks, Bro!





17 comments:

Hale McKay said...

Since I cannot eat Chinese food, I paid attention to the desserts. Yum, that stuff looks awfully good.

Susie said...

We love Chinese food! I've never seen much in the way of deserts, so these all sounded good.
:-)

MaR said...

I love Chinese food too and this sounds like a great place to visit! I am so hungry now, lol. One thing that called my attention is your advice to arrive early: at 6:30 pm the place was almost full. It couldn't ever happen in Spain: the cook arrives at 8:30 pm so if you are lucky you can get your meal by 9pm...and you are the only one at the restaurant! I have been meaning to post about the different eating schedules...

Merle said...

Hello Judy, So glad you had such an enjoyable few days in New York. The Show sounded great and your meals out superb I love anything mango. Hard to believe the doll's hair stylists, although we have a doll's hospital to repair broken dolls. Anyway it all sounded like you had a terrific time which is great. Thanks for your comment. The butcher dance was so long and then to end as it did was a bit of a let down. Take care, Hugs, Merle.

Gypsy said...

Oh, yummy! Sounds delicious.

Here from Michele's today.

Anonymous said...

Oh i wish I could have joined y'all!!!

utenzi said...

It all sounds very yummy, Judy.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds like a great restaurant Judy... And that bakery, too....Did they have anything chocolate?
I love your NY Tour! It reminds me how wonderful that city is...(in small doses, of course...Lol)

Eddie said...

I love NYC eateries!
(all but the franchised fast food ones)

Greg Finnegan said...

We lived in northern NJ from 1986 to 2004. I developed a habit of taking the six of us (wife and I, and four kids in grade school and high school) to Broadway for at least one show a year. We saw so many great ones! I did not enjoy New Jersey natives, or the property taxes, or the crime; but give me that city any day! Thanks for your great stories of your trip, Judy! They take me back to the GOOD stuff!

Anonymous said...

You are chronicling your trip so well! I was trying to see just where the restuarant you ate at in Chinatown was in proximity to where I ate. But, I can't find the address of Hup Kee where I ate.
Yes, you must try Lychee when you get a chance!
I can't believe what all is being sold regarding the American Girl dolls! Wow! Hair Stylists? Amazing.
Joe's Shanghai looks yummy! I will keep that in mind for my next trip there!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I didn't get to meet up with you while you were here. Promise me that we'll hook up on your next visit.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out that missing link for me. I've fixed it and show #8 is there now. It was late and I knoew there was something I forgot to do!

Anonymous said...

Did you say a Sabrett hot dog? Be still, my heart! GOD, I love those! And would have passed on the Asian...although it sounded wonderful...for the good ole' NY hotdog!
Sounds like you had a great finish to your stay in the Big Apple!

Shephard said...

NYC has 8000 restaurants!
Can you imagine?
Love this city. Your meal sounded divine
~S

Raggedy said...

Yumm Yumm Yumm
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Anonymous said...

Sabrett has the BEST hotdogs in the world...I am salivating as I type this! great photo's and I came from Moonbeams to find out who Michelle was that elected her blog for something...in other words, nosey! i so miss NYC!

vanx said...

The old Wing Sing Wing Ding® You know what Leonard Cohen said: "First we take Manhatttan, then we take Berlin"

Go for it. And next time you're in NYC lets get some Wing Sing or something.

Enjoyed your NYC write-up!