Monday, July 11, 2005

Maximum Entertainment - at the IMAX Near You

****See addendum
If you live near an IMAX Theater, go quickly to see Coral Reef Adventure. We went Sunday afternoon; found a packed house and enjoyed every minute of the movie. The scenery is to die for; aerial scenes of Tahiti and Figi and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, as well as numerous underwater scenes of lusciously-colored tropical fish, sharks, octopi, Moray eels, etc. Some of the dives were as deep as 350 feet; few people will ever dive that deeply and live to tell about it, let alone show video of it.


We learn that our coral reefs all over the planet are suffering, mainly from three things: 1. global warming, 2. over-fishing and 3. siltation from logging activities above rivers which feed the ocean near reefs. We can heal the reefs by curbing the activities which lead to coral damage. We have no idea what may ultimately happen to the natural balance of the ocean if we allow the reefs to continue to die through our selfish use of natural resources. Cause and effect principles are at work here, and we must all do what we can to stop the process. Start by educating yourselves; see the film. Please.



****I make it a point to see as many IMAX films as I can. Everywhere we go that has an IMAX, I'm there. My husband teases me for seeing the IMAX at the Grand Canyon, but he doesn't understand that you see it in ways that never would be possible if you are standing at the rim, looking down. As one of the comments mentions; you can see a beaver dam being built from the inside. How cool is that?! In the Grand Canyon IMAX, you soar through the canyon on a hang glider or ultralight and you thunder down the river on crashing waves (without ever having to get wet or be bounced around). In the space film, you can almost experience the G-forces as the shuttle takes off and you can float around the night sky when the astronauts do their space-walks. I haven't yet seen a commercial film in 3-D at the IMAX, but I plan to soon. Whatever the fare for an IMAX film, it is definitely worth it!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oohhhh this sounds so good. I just looked, it is not in my hometown imax. :(

Anonymous said...

We have an IMAX near us. It's been forever since I've been there, but you bring to mind an important fact; we are moving to Another State within a few months and I'm pretty sure they don't have an IMAX. It's time to go again! It also reminds me of the time I was caught in an IMAX during a horrid thunder storm. They evacuated us to the stage and made sure noone touched the screen. It was a real adventure!

Thanks for visiting me again today. Don't worry about the diabetes... I'm doing great and I'll be here for a long long time.

You're quickly becoming a favorite, you know that? :-)

Did you see the picture of my Sweet Girl that I posted? It was just before my thankfulness list....

Anonymous said...

So here I take the time to comment, then run over to Michele's to check the site of the day and she's having us spread more comment cheer. Amazingly enough, I got YOU for the second time in as many days. Hello! Michele sent me... but I obviously would have gotten here on my own anyway :-)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to get away to a movie with my husband... it's been a while due to kids... Here via comments @ Michele's site of the day :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

IMAX theaters with science/nature films remind me of the same suspension of disbelief I used to achieve when visiting planetariums as a child.

Whether sitting beneath a sky-dome made of twinkle-lights, or in front of a huge screen showing ocean life, I still feel a sense of magic and awe.

Jamie Dawn said...

It's been awhile since I've seen an IMAX film. I actually got dizzy at it. This one sounds really wonderful.

Erica said...

I love IMAX films! The best one I've seen was about beavers and you got to see them building a dam from the inside. Very fascinating and I marvel at the technology that gets that on film. Best of all, the title: Beavers: The Biggest Dam Movie You Ever Saw.
(Amazon link to DVD cover here.)

Anonymous said...

I love the Exploris IMAX. Haven't yet seen the film you're talking about, but the Mt. Everest one was breathtaking.

amarkonmywall said...

Abby and I have seen this twice- beautiful and education, just as you write. This is IMAX at it's best, right up there with Everest. Also, coming out this weekend: March of the Penguins/National Geographic/ Morgan Freeman narrating. I can hardly wait!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Okay, down in Australia, every now and then a whole passel of starfish start eating on the coral reefs. So which side are you on? Animal No. 1, or Animal No. 2?

Mary J. said...

My bf and I went to see an IMAX movie when we were first starting to date; it was about beavers. It is probably one of my favorite animals now, because of that movie! I wish it could come out on DVD!

Whenever we travel, we check out the local IMAX. And we don't even have kids!

Mrs M said...

We have an IMAX here in London but I've never been, although I've always intended to. It looks like I've been missing out!

I'll add it to my ever increasing To Do list right away.

Thanks for the comment on my blog today BTW.

DBFrank said...

Thanks for stopping by.. sorry the comments won't open; I think it's a problem with some who block javascript; I know it stopped for ME when I downloaded a script blocker for FireFox. Appreciate your reading, and making me a daily stop on your journey :)
Blessings.

brendalove@gmail.com said...

Judy - where is an IMAX round here?

It rips me up to think of one day all of our beautiful nature being gone.

Arethusa said...

I've never been to an IMAX. I'm awfully jealous and the film sounds wonderful.